Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to roll back from IMAP to POP3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

I am using Outlook 2007; recently I got an SSD 500gig drive and reinstalled my Windows 7 Ultimate on it; all is fine. Then I installed Outlook 2007 from my disk, and I could not get it to recognize my POP3 at all. I have been installing/configuring Outlook for years (I was in systems until I retired, MCP, blah blah) and tried every trick in the book, but nada.

Oddly, my old version of W7 was still active on my old HDD and my POP3 Outlook 2007 was running perfectly. My wife also runs Outlook on her old XP machine with POP3 and it is fine.

I called my ISP (Comcast), and the tech (level 2) told me I might not be able to configure for POP3 on a new install because everything was going to IMAP.  He suggested calling Microsoft, but I would rather have a root canal done without anesthetic that go through that. Ok, so we configured for IMAP and I hate it. I really, really, hate it. I really don't like the fact that I can't delete the emails off the server. That sucks eggs.

Does anyone have any information on rolling back to POP3 from IMAP in Outlook?

Thanks guys...

[EDIT]:  Ok, I finally found this: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/705

I don't know if this will work, but I will try it tomorrow. I hope I don't totally screw things to the wall. :rolleyes:

Edited by ranchhand_, 02 September 2015 - 03:51 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

You most certainly can set up Comcast email as POP. Did you get any error messages when you set it up as POP?

Here are the settings for setting up Outlook 2007 for Comcast POP mail.

See if you can change your IMAP account to these settings.

1. choose Tools
  2. choose Account Settings
  3. choose the Email tab
  4. click on your Comcast account to highlight it
  5. choose Change
  6. enter Your Name (whatever you want to appear on your messages)
  7. enter E-mail Address (your full Comcast email address)
  8. choose POP3 as the Account Type
  9. Incoming mail server is mail.comcast.net
  10. Outgoing mail server is smtp.comcast.net
  11. enter User Name (your Comcast user ID, the part before "@comcast.net" in your email address)
  12. enter Password
  13. check "Remember password"
  14. make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked
  15. choose More Settings
  16. go to the Outgoing Server tab
  17. check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”
  18. choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”
  19. go to the Advanced tab
  20. choose SSL encryption for both incoming and outgoing servers
  21. change port number to 995 for incoming, 587 or 465 for outgoing
  22. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end
  23. Click OK, Next, Finish

Turn off whatever email scanning your anti-virus package is doing. Comcast already scans incoming email for viruses, and your outgoing email isn’t going to be infected unless your machine is already infected, so there’s no point checking it all the time.

Report back with the results. If it does not work, I have another idea you can try.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 September 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Queenie, i will give yours a try first!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

Queen-Evie....thanks for your help, that got me through it and am now back to POP3. There was only one alternative; in your instructions, #8 didn't work because it was grayed out....I could see the box, but it wouldn't respond. So I chose the alternate "manually configure" option check box, that opened up the option to choose POP3 and I was able to complete. Now I can use Mailwasher to preview all emails on the server before importing into Outlook; that has saved me countless spam and virus emails from entering my system. And...I can permanently delete emails now. This idea of leaving them on the server and cannot delete them is totally stupid (IMHO) :cowboy: .

Thanks again for your clear, logical instructions!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

I am glad you were able to get it sorted out and are now using POP mail.

This idea of leaving them on the server and cannot delete them is totally stupid (IMHO) :cowboy: .

They will delete off the server in IMAP if the actual mail is deleted from your email client, which is Outlook for you. OR if deleted from the server using Comcast web based email will delete it from Outlook.

IMAP is good to use if you check mail from several systems or devices.

With POP mail, once it downloads from the server into an email client and deleted from the server it cannot be viewed on other devices unless POP mail is set to leave a copy of messages on the server.

I use IMAP for my Comcast email in my email client (I rarely look at the web based mail and when I do it reminds me why I prefer an email client) even though I don't access it from a different computer or on my smartphone.

Whether to use POP or IMAP is personal preference.

#6 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:19 AM

I am glad you were able to get it sorted out and are now using POP mail.

This idea of leaving them on the server and cannot delete them is totally stupid (IMHO) :cowboy: .

They will delete off the server in IMAP if the actual mail is deleted from your email client, which is Outlook for you. OR if deleted from the server using Comcast web based email will delete it from Outlook.

IMAP is good to use if you check mail from several systems or devices.

With POP mail, once it downloads from the server into an email client and deleted from the server it cannot be viewed on other devices unless POP mail is set to leave a copy of messages on the server.

I use IMAP for my Comcast email in my email client (I rarely look at the web based mail and when I do it reminds me why I prefer an email client) even though I don't access it from a different computer or on my smartphone.

Whether to use POP or IMAP is personal preference.

very interesting. I think this might be the answer to my Outlook 2013 issue. I don't recall choosing IMAP when I set up Outlook 2013 but since having IMAP and Outlook 2013 everything is different. I want to be able to have certain emails on the two devices that I use email with but that isn't happening either, ever since IMAP......

so, is it just changing the settings from IMAP to POP? while googling last night I read that I'd have to create a new account, then delete the IMAP account....which gives me pause.

#7 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

Queen-Evie....thanks for your help, that got me through it and am now back to POP3. There was only one alternative; in your instructions, #8 didn't work because it was grayed out....I could see the box, but it wouldn't respond. So I chose the alternate "manually configure" option check box, that opened up the option to choose POP3 and I was able to complete. Now I can use Mailwasher to preview all emails on the server before importing into Outlook; that has saved me countless spam and virus emails from entering my system. And...I can permanently delete emails now. This idea of leaving them on the server and cannot delete them is totally stupid (IMHO) :cowboy: .

Thanks again for your clear, logical instructions!

I use my smartphone to delete emails prior to receiving in Outlook. Thankfully that still works.....however, they now show up in my trash folder in Outlook, something else that is new since IMAP.....I'm with you: I hate IMAP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users