Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing Filenames

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

I have a bunch of files in my Download folder. When I look at the folder I can tell what some of them are, but others (especially those without distinctive icons) are one big mystery. I know there is a way, using (parenthesis) to add a title to a filename without preventing it from running when I click on it.

If I have a file named TMS.msi, for instance, How can I identify it as a "Password Store"?
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

Right click on the file and choose "Properties" and then the "Summary" tab which will allow you to type in whatever you want to name the file, the subject and whatever comments you want to make.

You can then customize Windows Explorer to show the fields you used.

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 July 2006 - 04:49 PM.

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

I have a bunch of files in my Download folder. When I look at the folder I can tell what some of them are, but others (especially those without distinctive icons) are one big mystery. I know there is a way, using (parenthesis) to add a title to a filename without preventing it from running when I click on it.

If I have a file named TMS.msi, for instance, How can I identify it as a "Password Store"?

Perhaps rename it-

password_store.msi

You can always rename it to TMS.msi if this advice is not what you need.

#4 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:00 PM

I tried a couple of things. The one that seemed to work was (Password Store)TMS.msi.
Sometimes (with .exe files especially) you can't change the filename and still have it execute when you click on it.
When I dbl-click this icon it calls TMS.msi
Thanks. I should have tried it before I yelled for help.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users