Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recording PS1 Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hi. I have a device to record gameplay. It works with my PS2 and PS3 and I can play PS2 and PS3 games fine. However, when I put in a PS1 game it refused to record.

I have audio and display and can play the game perfectly fine. I can hit record before loading anything, but the second it switches from the PS2 screen to the loading screen of the PS1 game it stops the recording.

I tried it on the PS3 first, but it won't record on that either.

At one point it flashed up saying 576p, but even at low quality I don't see why it wouldn't record when it's running perfectly fine through the device while not recording.

I can see online that others can record PS1 gameplay. Everything is set up fine, game works, PS2 and PS3 games record. Why will it not record the PS1 game?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

What is the device you speak of? Who makes it, what model?

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

What is the device you speak of? Who makes it, what model?

Relliance EC010 HD Video Capture.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

The description of the device does not mention PS1 (or PS2) support. That device can still "pass-thru" the video/audio information while not recording. Recording takes more effort on the device. When you say you tried in on your PS3 do you mean you used the PS1 disc on a PS3? Do those people who successfully record PS2 & PS3 games use the exact same device as you?

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

I bought that knowing it could record PS2 games as well, even though officially it's not mentioned.

I'd have thought lower quality would be easier to record than HD. Plus I thought it'd record anything on a console so long as that console was compatible/able to connect, which both of them are.

Yeah, I tried the PS1 disc on a PS3.

I imagine some do. I can successfully record PS2 and PS3 games though. I don't know if any use it for recording PS1 games.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

Video quality has nothing to do with it. PS2 and PS3 can output 480p/i. This is basically 720x480 on a modern TV. PS1 can only output 640x480, which may be a resolution your recorder box does not support. It seems weird but if they supported 640x480 they would have to test it using old hardware such as a PS1. They don't because they do not expect their customers to record from such an old device, it wouldn't be worth their money. When the PS1 game loads on the PS3 or PS2 it switches to a different video mode that a TV can read but not your recorder. 

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

They really should expect it, retro games are still popular. You can buy digital PS1 games and they're remaking numerous old games.

Annoying that it said 576p (supported for recording) and I have 2 consoles that work with the device yet it won't record PS1 games.

Are there any settings I can change that may get it to work?

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

Are there any settings I can change that may get it to work?

I doubt it. There would probably be switches on the side.

They really should expect it, retro games are still popular. You can buy digital PS1 games and they're remaking numerous old games.

Annoying that it said 576p (supported for recording) and I have 2 consoles that work with the device yet it won't record PS1 games.

Actually they don't need to expect it. The product made no mention of PS2/1 support. They don't make video recorders for old consoles like the Playstation 1 for the same reason they don't make controllers for the Super Nintendo. That market is long gone. Marketing/manufacturing/testing/etc a product for a nearly empty market is a bad business move.

The device working on PS2 is not intentional, I believe. The PS2 happens to have a more modern video output than the PS1 so it happens to work, lucky for you. Unlucky for you, the PS1 does not work with it, because the PS1 is too old.

My advice? Emulate it on a computer and record your video from that. It is a little more complicated, but it will achieve what you want.

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

That's the point though, the market hasnt gone at all. They may not produce them new, but that doesn't mean they're gone. Far from it.

For example, on Ebay, Nintendo SNES games. 11,690 listings sold over the last 90 days. 1742 listings for the SNES console.

Playstation 1 console, 2334 listings sold. 24159 listings sold for PS1 games. I bet a number have been listed under PS2 and PS3 as well which aren't included in them sales figure, plus some might be bundle listings.

For comparison, PS4 console has sold 7888. Xbox One console 5383. While less I'd hardly say it's an empty market. That's also the sales on just one site. Not the only place to buy them.

Plus, Nintendo have made a Gamecube adapter for the Wii U and a Wii U controller that's the same design as the Gamecube controller. As I said before, they're remaking some retro games too and some are available digitally because people still want to play them.

There's a wireless Sega megadrive and a while back there was something about the Commodore 64 coming back.

People love retro stuff. I've read countless times about people wishing they still had their old consoles to play certain games, people trying to find old games they want, people who want remakes of old games, photos/videos being shared on social media about how good the old consoles/games are, disappointment with lack of backwards compatibility with new consoles and so on. So based on all that, it shouldn't be surprising that there is a market for people wanting to record them games.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

That's the point though, the market hasnt gone at all. They may not produce them new, but that doesn't mean they're gone. Far from it.

For example, on Ebay, Nintendo SNES games. 11,690 listings sold over the last 90 days. 1742 listings for the SNES console.

Playstation 1 console, 2334 listings sold. 24159 listings sold for PS1 games. I bet a number have been listed under PS2 and PS3 as well which aren't included in them sales figure, plus some might be bundle listings.

For comparison, PS4 console has sold 7888. Xbox One console 5383. While less I'd hardly say it's an empty market. That's also the sales on just one site. Not the only place to buy them.

Well of course there are a lot of old games on ebay. Ebay is for old stuff. It is the best marketplace if one wants to sell their classic video games. I know that there is a market for old gaming. But you don't make money that way. You have to support the things that exist now, not before. That company can not guarantee being able to test their product on a PS1 because one does not simply buy them. They only exist on ebay and in gaming retail stores. People do not buy each other PS1's for Christmas. They buy PS4's.

Plus, Nintendo have made a Gamecube adapter for the Wii U and a Wii U controller that's the same design as the Gamecube controller. As I said before, they're remaking some retro games too and some are available digitally because people still want to play them.

That adapter was made for the super smash bros game for the Wii U. You could use it for other stuff, but that is the market they originally intended it for.

I understand the desire to play old games. I still do sometimes. When I do, I use an emulator. That's where people tend to play old stuff, since it is the only way to ensure it lasts. Most emulators I use have a record video function. There is also programs like fraps for recording pc games or emulators.  

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:29 AM

Well of course there are a lot of old games on ebay. Ebay is for old stuff. It is the best marketplace if one wants to sell their classic video games. I know that there is a market for old gaming. But you don't make money that way. You have to support the things that exist now, not before. That company can not guarantee being able to test their product on a PS1 because one does not simply buy them. They only exist on ebay and in gaming retail stores. People do not buy each other PS1's for Christmas. They buy PS4's.

That adapter was made for the super smash bros game for the Wii U. You could use it for other stuff, but that is the market they originally intended it for.

I understand the desire to play old games. I still do sometimes. When I do, I use an emulator. That's where people tend to play old stuff, since it is the only way to ensure it lasts. Most emulators I use have a record video function. There is also programs like fraps for recording pc games or emulators.  

If there's a market for it you can make money from it.

Not everyone cares about having the latest games or consoles. If someone collects retro gaming items you're not going to buy them a PS4 you're going to buy them something retro. Plus, how many parents used to love the PS1 and then buy one for their kids knowing they'll love it too (and because it's cheap with many games)?  Probably more than you'd think.

It may not be supported now but, it's still really easy to get hold of a PS1 and the games and thousands sell on ebay alone. The company could easily test it on PS1, they just don't. They don't even need the original console though, they could test PS1 games on the PS3. It working with other games or on other consoles is an extra selling point which is always good.

Point is that the controller was and still is popular enough for it to be bought back for the Wii U. Same goes for the game remakes.

Personally I prefer to play games on the original console, as do many others. Emulators just aren't the same. Many do use them, many also still play on the original consoles (or backwards compatible ones). Still, the fact that emulators play old games and usually have a record option shows that people want to record old games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users