Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Updates U-Turn: Microsoft Details Changes

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Windows 10 is the world’s most controversial success. Even for a (mostly) free upgrade, 75M installs in just five weeks is exceptional. But as Windows 10’s user base rapidly increases so do complaints about how it invades user privacy and forcibly controls updates. In response to this Microsoft has now taken a first step in the right direction…

Speaking to press this week Microsoft Corporate Vice President Jim Alkove said the company will stop hiding the contents of Windows 10 updates and what changes they will make once installed.

In fact Alkove went as far as admitting these changes come directly from user complaints:

“We’ve heard that feedback from enterprise customers so we’re actively working on how we provide them with information about what’s changing and what new capabilities and new value they’re getting,” he declared.

But did you spot that vital keyword? Yes, Enterprise.

You can only p@ss off your enterprise customers so much before they push back.  I wonder if this will eventually include Non-Enterprise but I sincerely doubt it. Microsoft probably figures since you cannot stop the updates why bother telling you what is in them or what or what they do. :rolleyes:

Article

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2015 - 09:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hard to believe that some big companies already made a full switch to Windows 10. There's still many issues that needs to be solved, without speaking of updates that messes up programs mostly used in entreprise environment. I wonder where they got that feedback from.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, I just commented on that article, because it's NOT '75 million in five weeks'. The original post was only a total since the prior OCTOBER, which Mehdi updates in tweets.  Bott and others who care not at all for that truth, spun it into 14 million in one day then 75 million in four weeks, really scurrilous liars.  Original source for the data from Mehdi and other material showing the 75 million is a sham, I collected and posted here.  Put that link in the Kelly article, too.  The most important thing is the downgrade rights clause being used on Win10 licenses to sell Win7 preinstalled.  So not Win10 sold 75 million, but used to sell more Win7.  Which, you can verify by going to the manufacturer's sites which are linked in that prior link.

Next up, the arrogance of dictating to Enterprise but not noticing that Enterprise is made up of indidivual people who do not get to have Enterprise at HOME.. not noticing, that Enterprise does business with small business (subcontracting or consulting).. if the latter two have problems, that hurts Big Business, too.  So the restriction on mandatory updates for non-Enterprise, will eventually hurt Enterprise, as Windows 10 leaves a sour taste in the mouth of non-Enterprise.. who make up the population of, Enterprise.

Worse, all this fighting to get what as a begrudging concession?  Oh, now maybe we'll tell you something about what these forced updates, do.  WHAT ARROGANCE.  And I'm supposed to be grateful?  I shouldn't even have to ask for that.  Do you know how many people will leave MSFT now, just due to that arrogance?  I really didn't think MSFT could get worse, I was trying to think somehow it was merely misunderstood.  No longer. This is the end, for me. Boycotting MSFT from now on.  I won't be the only one. Am sick of their tactics.  The customer should be served, not beat up.

In fact, going back to the article now and putting that paragraph in it. NOW I am done with the research. Finally.  50 days lost on Win10.  EDIT: posted the above paragraph, with some tweaks.

Here's a comment extract by Yuki Nagato to that article, bolding added

"but the second technician was even worse–rude, ignorant, and lazy. He just ran an anti-virus program and told me he wouldn’t do anything until I bought a one-year plan to clean up my laptop. I told him the laptop was already supposedly being protected by MS’s own Endpoint Protection (I know it sucks, but that’s what my school provided me), and we already paid for that plan. But that technician insisted I should buy an additional plan to get real protection and cleanup. The truth was my system was clean,"

Many people are reporting stuff like this all over the internet. So is Win10 buggy to make you buy their 'protection'?  It's a frequent story, now, not just isolated instances.

It's as if MSFT has a death wish. Everything they are doing is precisely hurtful to them.  Which is a pity, as the OS absent all these barnacles, is decent (once the bugs and stupidities get worked out).. and doesn't deserve to be so shackled.

When Ford Motor Co. went bad like this, they started to call it Fix Or Repair Daily. 

So now for MSFT, it's Make Software Favor Technicians   :devil:

Edited by brainout, 02 September 2015 - 11:51 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

According to NetmarketShare Windows 10 has about 5% share but then again does this account for people who revert back to their old OS? XP still has 12%  :)

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

Well, going by online numbers isn't helpful, as 1) Windows 10 needs to be online more than prior OSes, 2) activations are not separated from actual users using the machines, as both are online, 3) being online to search for problems is not separated out (so more would be online for longer, searching for solutions), and as you said, 4) reversions.  These latter would take place offline or maybe be online, I'm not sure what is the procedure now.  So the activity, can indicate the opposite.

When Windows update borked XP machines, we all got online to find out why, and if enough borked, that would look like a 'success' in XP usage, when in fact the higher activity was due to failure. 

People coming here for help, for example, might be using Win10 because that part works.  So online activity means nothing.  Any pundit who uses online activity as a measure of OS success is not trustworthy or competent.

Plenty of incompetence/prevarication in Win10 reporting.  Very sad, to push it so much.  Like religious people do.

Edited by brainout, 02 September 2015 - 12:54 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hard to believe that some big companies already made a full switch to Windows 10. There's still many issues that needs to be solved, without speaking of updates that messes up programs mostly used in entreprise environment. I wonder where they got that feedback from.

Windows 10 enterprise editions of Windows have Long Term Branch support, so they can get security patches, etc for decades.

Edited by CKing123, 02 September 2015 - 01:15 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

In fact Alkove went as far as admitting these changes come directly from user complaints....

......and as Aura said " Hard to believe that some big companies already made a full switch to Windows 10".....I agree with that statement.

Therefore from a relatively small number of 'users'....comes Complaints....about Invading User privacy and Forced Updates.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

Sorry, Condobloke, I don't get this part, couldn't find it in the article,

You wrote: "Therefore from a relatively small number of 'users'....comes Complaints."  Relatively small?  The complainers are about 5 times greater than the approvers.  The negativity is far higher with Win10 (esp. over privacy).  So where is 'relatively small'?

As usual, Ed Bott lies and says that there were few complaints -- patent lie -- were you referring to his usual prevarication in this article? See the comments there, for this time he was really called on the carpet by users I'd not seen in the comments before.  I've been publicly calling him a liar for three weeks, ever since he first lied about the EULA;  his last article is his fourth lie which is proven a lie quickly (<== link summarizes the lies and proofs).  But ignore my comments, you know them already.  Look at the others.

Edited by brainout, 03 September 2015 - 07:05 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:59 AM

I guess he is referring to the Entreprise users of Windows 10 versus the Home users of Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:25 PM

Windows 10 Runs On 1.5 Million Business PCs

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Aura has it right.....i was referring to the enterprise users......they are in the minority of windows 10 installs......So..if as brainout says the complainers are 5 timers greater than the approvers.......then this relatively huge number of complaints is coming from that section of the community with the least installs.

Be careful msft.....be very careful.

Yes it can be argued that this is limited to the enterprise users.....they pay $ for the software assurance scheme etc etc.....just the very fact that msft have immediately softened their belligerent stance in that area.....immediately increases the chances of softening of attitude in other areas.

It will be in msft's best interests to back off a little in many areas

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

Just talked to my boss about this yesterday at work, and for a company of our size, we don't expect to deploy Windows 10 before at least a year and a half. And even there, it'll take us half a year, 3/4 of a year to fully deploy it and make sure everything's working fine. Right now, Windows 10 is still considered too unstable to be used in our company. Only our Lead Analyst for the Deployments team uses it.

Edited by Aura, 03 September 2015 - 04:30 PM.

unite_blue.png

#13 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

I'm impressed with MSFT allowing any glimps of candor.

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

So if 1.5 million business (enterprise?) machines DOWNLOADED Windows 10, that doesn't mean deployments.  You have to download to test.  Honestly, how desperate must the company be, to report a paltry number of downloads when it might never mean deployment; and if Enterprise, it will be months before there are any results?  Of course, they don't have the heinous EULA to contend with: their Enterprise EULA provisions have no snooping or policing clauses.  The right tweaks applied at the enterprise level could make Win10 really good, since there are no mandatory updates and at the Enterprise level you can customize the interface.  Surely it's light-years better than Win8.1, and it does run old software and hardware well (I use old stuff big business uses, and it runs well even in 64-bit Win10).

Preston Gralla lied about the EULA today just like Bott does.  And the pundits are all lying about the meaning of the numbers. There is no meaning to the numbers.  Downloads and running the software does not mean deployment.  You can say this many devices are TRYING OUT the OS, but you really don't even know that.

Important: MSFT itself is not lying about the numbers, but tweeting them (search on 'Mehdi' in that link to get to his tweets, he's the original source of the numbers), or at least I find no evidence of it lying.  Pundits are lying like crazy, and I can't understand why.

Edited by brainout, 03 September 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#15 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

Sorry, Condobloke, I don't get this part, couldn't find it in the article,

You wrote: "Therefore from a relatively small number of 'users'....comes Complaints."  Relatively small?  The complainers are about 5 times greater than the approvers.  The negativity is far higher with Win10 (esp. over privacy).  So where is 'relatively small'?  ...."

Number of complainers usually outnumbers those satisfied in almost any area, so that is a figure I usually disregard. Funny how those who are happy with something usually stay relatively quiet. WELL I'M NOT STAYING QUIET  - I LOVE WINDOWS 10. That aside the naysayers, complainers etc. are looking to sound off so we hear more from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users