Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Previous Backups from old computers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wh0

Wh0

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

I came across a few CD's with backups from computers I no longer own.  Are there any programs that can decrypt the information to make it readable to see if there is anything on the backups worth saving?

My guess at least one is a backup from a computer that was running Windows Me, I think another was from one running Vista, my current OS is 7 Home Premium.

:bubbles:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

What are the extensions of the image files?

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

If the files on those cd discs are "image files" as in some sort of system image, then sometimes you can browse inside them using 7z even though windows file explorer will not usually go there.

But as for being able to suggest a precise solution to your problem, it would be really helpful to know what type of files the files are, what sort of cd they are on and whether you can remember anything about when they were originally made. You have posted this in the encryption section of the forum, do you know for certain that they were encrypted, or is it just that being unable to open them by normal means you have assumed they are encrypted, if it's the former then it might well be impossible to open the files without the passwords, if it's the latter then it's a matter probably of finding the relevant program to open the file type in question.

Also, you mention that they were made on "computers you no longer own". Unless some sort of special encryption program with some kind of "only allow this cd to be read by the following computers" function was used to make the discs then they should be able to be read on any computer, so the fact that you no longer have the computers they were made on shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by rp88, 03 September 2015 - 01:56 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users