Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coy32

Coy32

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

Hello,

My MacBook was moving very slowly and hanging up. I restarted it to try and clear it up. Upon restart it makes the tone, goes to the apple screen with the gear spinning below it. It just sits there and spins for hours. Is there anything I can do to recover it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

Try Safe Mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up.

#3 Coy32

Coy32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

Thanks Buddy! I just tried to boot in safe mode, it didn't work. It tried,it showed the loading bar, restarted and is stuck again on the apple screen with the spinning gear. It has been there for over an hour.

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hello,

During Startup up and immediatelly  if you hear the startup sound hold down the Command + R keys to boot into recovery mode. Open Disk Utility and try to check and repair Harddrive issues and disk permissions.

Reset your NVRAM can sometimes solve boot failures

Make sure if you have a backup e.g. Time Machine, in that case that you need to reinstall the OS.

#5 Coy32

Coy32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

Well, I got in to recovery and repaired everything. It still won't boot. What should I do. The most recent backup is almost 9 months ago. Is there any way to copy the drive before I reformat and start over?

#6 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

The most recent backup is almost 9 months ago

That's bad

You should change your backup strategy.

Make an Apple Diagnostic Test to exclude any issues

If you have an Hardware Problem you need to Contact Apple or take your computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store to determine which service and support options are available.

Edited by dante12, 04 September 2015 - 04:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users