Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor display won't turn off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 topper8281

topper8281

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:24 PM

Hey everyone. I upgraded my Windows 8.1 computer to 10 over a month ago. Although I like Windows 10 a lot, there is a problem I've been having with the monitor not turning off automatically.

The display is set to turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity, but it never does. No matter how long I set the wait time. I set up a hot key to automatically turn the monitor off. It worked in 8.1 but in Windows 10 the monitor turns off for a half second and then turns right back on.

I did not change any hardware settings when I went from 8.1 to 10. I've tried unplugging various things connected via USB but nothing so far has solved this problem.

The monitor I have is the Dell E2414Hx 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Edit: I wasn't sure whether to put this in the external hardware forum or here, but since the problem's only occured since the upgrade I posted it here.

Edited by topper8281, 01 September 2015 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:13 AM

game controller prevents windows 10 from putting monitor to sleep or even computer. 

#3 topper8281

topper8281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hey thanks. I didn't realize it before, but there were two USB game controller devices plugged into my computer. Although I did unplug one at a time, I hadn't unplugged both of them and that solved the problem.

Any idea on how to make it turn off with it plugged in though? I see there is one topic on this already, but the guys advice did not fix the problem for me:

"settings-> system-> power & sleep-> Additional plan settings-> change plan settings-> change advanced power settings->  sleep-> allow wake timers-> disable

had the same problem with the monitor and this fixed it for me"

#4 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

no luck so far :/  this advice also did not fix my problem. i hope microsoft will fix this problem soon.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

I've noticed that if you don't change ALL the Power plans to the SAME setting you really want,  the power plan you've selected, won't work.  So craft the power setting you want, then duplicate it to ALL the possible plans, and be sure to use the ADVANCED settings and also to make visible the ones otherwise 'unavailable' in that dialogue box for Advanced Settings.  You've got to change all the Advanced Power Plan settings,  not just one of them.

Windows Power Settings have never worked properly until they are all the same. XP has the same problem, and so does Windows 7.  So it's a bug that persists even in 10.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 PeterQ

PeterQ

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

Ive got the same problem but have worked out that all you need to do is to sign off and then it works or manually put it to sleep with the start/Power button, yeah tried all the fixes nothing worked so maybe in another update they might have it sorted

#7 topper8281

topper8281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

@brainout I don't specifically remember needing to have non selected power plans have the same settings in my previous Windows OS's. But regardless, having the settings the same did not fix this problem for me in Windows 10.

@PeterQ the problem with this is that I basically want to be able to wake the computer from USB controller. My motherboard doesn't seem to be able to allow this to happen from regular sleep mode, and logging out ends the program I need for the controller. I have noticed that the remote support program Teamviewer is able to blank out the monitor so that it basically appears as being turned off. At this point I'm sort of looking for a program that can do something like this on command.

Edited by topper8281, 05 September 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#8 lightspeed11

lightspeed11

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:01 AM

Monitor OFF ulitly 1.0. free program and programmable to any keys u want :)

all the best...

#9 topper8281

topper8281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

UPDATE

I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 and for whatever reason this is not a problem anymore. My monitor can go to sleep normally even though I have two USB controllers plugged in.

I don't know if this is a fix from an update by Microsoft or something else. The only thing different in my installation is that this time it is a fresh install of Windows 10 whereas before it was an upgrade from 8.1.

#10 borik7

borik7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hi everyone!

I was using Windows 10 for a while with no problems.  All of a sudden display stopped going off when scheduled.  'Put computer to sleep' still works fine, but it is an inconvenience for me.  There were several changes I made at approximately the same time - updated Radeon display utility and ran Malwarebytes anti-malware utility. I guess something got screwed up.

Are there any ways to fix the issue?  Some registry entries, etc.?

Thank you much   

#11 borik7

borik7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

The mystery solved!  Windows Net Drive was a perp - was spawning and taking 10% of CPU.  Uninstalled, and everything works just fine!

#12 JOERODEO

JOERODEO

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

-deleted.

Edited by JOERODEO, 01 April 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#13 ScottoD

ScottoD

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Monitor OFF ulitly 1.0. free program and programmable to any keys u want :)

all the best...

This is manual and will not turn off monitor based on inactivity

The mystery solved!  Windows Net Drive was a perp - was spawning and taking 10% of CPU.  Uninstalled, and everything works just fine!

How did you determine?

Edited by ScottoD, 26 December 2016 - 03:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users