Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get more screen real estate?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie7

Eddie7

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

I'm thinking about buying a 40 inch TV. This is what I want to achieve:

Here's an example that I mocked up in Photoshop:

My laptop display right now: http://i.imgur.com/MeX01Vc.png

The display I want with the TV: http://i.imgur.com/7yzDHXm.png

My current screen size is my laptop which is a 1080p. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

It will be determined by the resolution of the screen you buy. If you get a TV with the same resolution as the laptop screen, you'll just get the same screen real estate but physically larger.

Edit: if you plan to use a screen with greater resolution, you should check the specifications of the video in the laptop to see if it supports the required spec, for example (not a recommendation):

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-40UB8000-led-tv

Resolution 3840 x 2160

Edited by Platypus, 01 September 2015 - 09:03 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Eddie7

Eddie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:35 PM

It will be determined by the resolution of the screen you buy. If you get a TV with the same resolution as the laptop screen, you'll just get the same screen real estate but physically larger.

Edit: if you plan to use a screen with greater resolution, you should check the specifications of the video in the laptop to see if it supports the required spec, for example (not a recommendation):

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-40UB8000-led-tv

Resolution 3840 x 2160

Got it. Thank you so much!

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Should add in that some laptop graphics cards can artificially run a higher resolution to give you more desktop real estate then what your screen is physically capable of. 

For instance my current screens are 1920 by 1200, but I can tell my GPU to artificially run them up to 2560 by 1600.

If you told us the exact model of your laptop or the graphics card it uses then we can tell you if it's capable of it. You might be able to get more screen real estate without spending any money at all. 

EDIT: 

Added before and after pictures. It's a little hard to tell since this site scales across multiple resolutions really well, but it's there. Site also scaled them down. 

Attached Files

Edited by SEANIA, 02 September 2015 - 04:26 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

There are one or two other simple things that can help increase the amount of real estate.

The first is to set the properties of the task bar to 'Autohide'. It then only appears when you take the cursor down to it.

The other is only relevant to browsers but disabling/uninstalling unneeded toolbars can create space as well.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users