Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My old XP Home Laptop has a "file association" problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saw46

saw46

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

I Had my old Laptop drive cleared totally and XP Home reinstalled clean.  Then I reinstalled a few of my old compatible programs that I use particularly for photo editiing (PSP 9), my email account and my Family Tree Maker 2005 which has a large data base built up.  I am using Foxfire Mozilla. 

These were all previously in this harddrive...but along with 10 years of all kinds of othe junk.

Well, it starts up and runs like gang busters with so much gunk removed,...however I seem to have a problem with opening files like image files.  When I click on a an image file on the desk top..it trys to open in "Music"....for instance which of course it can't.  I would say that the "shotcuts" and file associations are somehow messed up.  I have run scandisc and check disk repair....to no avail.

If anyone could tell me how to approach this problem  I would be very grateful.

Susan Wetzl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hello,

What is the extension of the image file? Can your right click and select Open With? Then check the box to Always use this program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/307859

#3 saw46

saw46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

Thank you for the response.  The file extension is .jpg. If I right click and select Open With PSP I get nothing but the program PSP opening without the image.  Before it opens I get a box which announces:  Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\Susan\Desktop\Family at Kure Beach Aug 2015.jpg'.

I have run  :  sfc /scannow.   And it stops shortly into the scan and says that I need to insert my Installation Disc because it needs to add missing dlls.  However, my Installation disc doesnt contain SP3, which was added later and in fact added again separately when this new installation was done.  I haven't tryed to use the Installation disc with

sp1 and 2,  yet because I didn't know if I should first remove SP 3 or not.... and then find and add sp 3 after..  Should I try using my installation disc?

Thxs

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

What happens if you open the file manually from within PSP?

Open PSP9. Under options or preferences there should be an option to associate jgp's with PSP9. It could be under FIle > Preferences > File Format Associations.

You need a SP3 disk. You can slipstream SP3 into your SP1 or SP2 disk using the SP3 file and nlite or Autostreamer. I would try Autostreamer first and if that does not work for you use nlite.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8053/how-to-slipstream-an-xp-disc-with-sp3-and-all-other-updates

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

You might have a corrupt .LNK file association.

Download LNKFix.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users