Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't / can't hibernate or sleep after upgrade to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sp3ctre18

Sp3ctre18

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

Hi everyone, so I have an issue about which I find many results but most of them don't reach a resolution, and those that do are inconclusive.

I have a Sony VAIO SVT15112CXS touchscreen ultrabook that came with Windows 8.

I followed Sony's guide and made sure everything was updated according to Windows Update and VAIO update. After upgrading to 8.1, I then re-checked for updates and updated everything.

Everything seemed fine until I realized sleep and hibernate don't work. With either option, the screen goes off and everything is making noise as if it's working to power down, but it stays in this state for roughly 5 whole minutes or more before it finally shuts down. When I turn it on, I realize it's starting a new session, as if it was shutdown.

Logging into Windows gives me no message of a crash.

WhoCrashed does see crash dumps, though. The "bugcheck code" varies almost with every crash, but they all say

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14F9A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE000FA9BB880, 0xFFFFD000C46DB980) [again, this line varies]
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft? Windows? Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

Around the same time that I started sleeping and hibernating the laptop to note these crashes, the laptop became very slow and laggy. Startup took forever, even shut down took a long time. I have resolved this by disabling "fast startup" in power options. I've only restarted 3 times, but it seems normal; fast and snappy startup and shutdown, but still fails to sleep or hibernate.

powercfg -energy reports the problem that seems to usually cause this or be related:

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

I cannot change this in BIOS. My BIOS settings are very simple; virtualization, anti-theft, boot priority, time stuff, that's about it.

I don't know what's on my PCIe, but from the VAIO driver webpage, I saw the card reader is on PCIe. I always have an SD card in there. I've already tried sleep and hibernate (at least 1 of them) with the card out, and also after reinstalling the driver that is 8.1 ready, and there's no change.

The full Powercfg report is attached.

Hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by Sp3ctre18, 01 September 2015 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sp3ctre18

Sp3ctre18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

anyone?

Normal shutdown and boot continues to work fine after disabling fast startup, that worked. Still unable to sleep or hibernate.

Edited by Sp3ctre18, 08 September 2015 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users