Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combining PC3-14900 VS PC3-14200 ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 78finn

78finn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

My work station has a single stick of:

PC3-14200 (889MHz) x 1 8GB

I have been offered a really good deal on a 

PC3-14900 (889MHz) x 1 8GB

Both RAM is made by the same manufacturer (Hyundai Electronics).

I have no idea what difference the PC3 rating has on a work station? Is it safe to mix these two types in the same machine?

I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, so be gentle!! smile.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

The critical factor is whether your motherboard supports that particular RAM - even if it is made by the same company as one you already have, it does not guarantee it will be supported. If you can find the part number of that particular RAM, and know exactly which motherboard you have, you can look on line for the manufacturer's webpage which should tell you whether your mobo supports that RAM.

If it is a really good deal and you can't find the info, you could always just buy and try. It shouldn't cause permanent hardware damage, just stability/crash issues at worst.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

As far as I can tell there is no PC3-14200 memory standard.  Are you sure that is what the memory module is?  It's possible they are non standard modules.  PC3-14900 is otherwise known as DDR3-1866 and is supposed to run at 933mhz (1866mhz effective clock speed due to clock doubling).

There is always a risk when mixing memory modules of different types that they won't work together.  They may or may not.  As Yu Gnomi says, the only likely issues would be stability problems.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users