Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 "The system cannot find the file specified" Driver Update.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DinosWithTacos

DinosWithTacos

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

When ever I try to upgrade the driver on my Netgear wnda4100, I go to Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of devices drivers on my computer, And then gives me 2 options. The Microsoft driver and the netgear driver. Whenever I try to click either, It tells me the driver update has failed due to "The system cannot find the file specified". This happens for both. Any ideas? Every other I can update the drivers without the issue. https://i.gyazo.com/47cd74a3335fd42a24491121a01ebfef.png <- Picture of the error received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DinosWithTacos

DinosWithTacos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

This is copy and pasted from other forums. 

Edited by DinosWithTacos, 01 September 2015 - 06:49 PM.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:56 PM

Are you following these instructions?

WNDA4100 Software Version 1.2.0.13

New Features and Enhancements:

1. Supports Win 8.1 / Win 10

To Install

1. Download and extract the new Software to a convenient place such as your desktop.
  2. To properly install adapter software, please remove any drivers that were previously installed. 
    To uninstall, go to Start > Programs > NETGEAR WNDA4100 adapter > Uninstall NETGEAR WNDA4100 adapter .
  3. Unplug the WNDA4100 adapter from your computer.
  4. If you want to install the adapter drivers including the NETGEAR Genie utility, run WNDA4100_v12013_win8_Genie_WHQL_signed.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  5. If you want to install just the adapter drivers without the NETGEAR Genie utility, run WNDA4100_v12013__win8_Standalone_WHQL_signed.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDA4100#searchResults

Try installing from Desktop; if no-go, try from Documents.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#4 DinosWithTacos

DinosWithTacos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

Are you following these instructions?

WNDA4100 Software Version 1.2.0.13

New Features and Enhancements:

1. Supports Win 8.1 / Win 10

To Install

1. Download and extract the new Software to a convenient place such as your desktop.
  2. To properly install adapter software, please remove any drivers that were previously installed. 
    To uninstall, go to Start > Programs > NETGEAR WNDA4100 adapter > Uninstall NETGEAR WNDA4100 adapter .
  3. Unplug the WNDA4100 adapter from your computer.
  4. If you want to install the adapter drivers including the NETGEAR Genie utility, run WNDA4100_v12013_win8_Genie_WHQL_signed.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  5. If you want to install just the adapter drivers without the NETGEAR Genie utility, run WNDA4100_v12013__win8_Standalone_WHQL_signed.exe and follow the on-screen install instructions.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDA4100#searchResults

Try installing from Desktop; if no-go, try from Documents.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I followed the instructions to no success. I also tried installing from the Documents also. I've always been trying to install it from the desktop. I also have tried installing both 

"Software Version 1.2.0.13 (Supports Win10)"

"Software Version 1.2.0.10 (Supports Win8)"

Both have failed. I noticed I'm getting error code 31 inside the driver properties.

#5 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:29 PM

Maybe your adapter doesn't support that driver or is too old.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#6 DinosWithTacos

DinosWithTacos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:11 PM

Maybe your adapter doesn't support that driver or is too old.

It was working last month. With the same setup :\

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

Try the following

Uninstall the driver in Device Manager if it allows you to. Right Click Uninstall.

Download USBDeview and delete any Netgear USB driver if listed. 

Per Wikidev the device has a Ralink RT3573 chipset. Go here and download the driver. Second from the top. Dated 5/6/2015. It may ask if you want to install the Ralink software along with the driver. I would do that option. Good Luck.

#8 DinosWithTacos

DinosWithTacos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

Try the following

Uninstall the driver in Device Manager if it allows you to. Right Click Uninstall.

Download USBDeview and delete any Netgear USB driver if listed. 

Per Wikidev the device has a Ralink RT3573 chipset. Go here and download the driver. Second from the top. Dated 5/6/2015. It may ask if you want to install the Ralink software along with the driver. I would do that option. Good Luck.

Im still getting error code 31, and "The system cannot find the file specified." :\

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

I would move the driver to the root of C:\ then Right Click > Run as Administrator. If that fails see if installing from Safe Mode works.

#10 DinosWithTacos

DinosWithTacos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

I would move the driver to the root of C:\ then Right Click > Run as Administrator. If that fails see if installing from Safe Mode works.

Sorry for the late response. I just noticed windows won't boot into safe mode. *sigh* Moving the driver to C:\ Did not work either.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box > Right Click > Run as Administrator. Type the following

net user administrator /active:yes

This will enable the hidden administrator account (super user). Logout and you should see it. If not reboot. Login to the account and try installing the Ralink driver I linked to. 

Do you have any yellow exclamation marks next to your wireless adapter in Device Manager? Is the adapter currently functioning? What was the reason for updating the driver?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users