Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to load winload.efi

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 r0th

r0th

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

I have an Asus laptop that wont boot. When I turn it on it goes to Automatic Repair, and tells me that I need recovery media to fix it. I created a usb recovery drive using Windows, and when I try to boot from that in bios it goes to a black screen with a blue Windows logo. Shortly after that the screen turns black and the drive isn't being accessed. Any idea on what to do?

Error code 0xc000000f on Windows 8

Edited by r0th, 01 September 2015 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:39 PM

Error code 0xc000000f is "Status No Such File"

Where did you get this error code from?

Do you have recovery media (not just a repair drive - but a full set of recovery media)?

How did you create the repair drive - and was it from the same version of Windows as you have?

For example, if you created a repair drive from a W7 machine, it likely won't work on a W8 system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 r0th

r0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

I that code (and others) when I turn on the computer. I created recovery media from Windows 8 and kept the check, I believe it was the full thing, it required me to use a 16gb flash drive.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

When creating there's a check box that enables the full recovery media - did you leave that checked?

It's not needed now, but may be in the future.

The point here is that I'd like to get you into Startup Repair so you can use the Command Prompt

You should be able to access that after the Automatic Repair tells you that it needs recovery media.

There should be an Advance Options button (see figure E at this link:  http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-the-windows-8-automatic-repair-feature-works/ )

Once you get into the command prompt, run these 3 commands (pressing Enter after each one):

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

You may want to also run CHKDSK C: /R /F before exiting (that'll check the structure of the file system on your C: drive

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 r0th

r0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

I did leave the check, and when I try to boot into the recovery drive it goes to a blue Windows logo for a little bit then turns black. After that the flash drives' light turns off and the only thing that can be done is turning it off.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

The only other thing to try that I can think of is another repair/recovery drive.

See if you can make one from a friends system that has the same OS as yours

Alternatively, you can download a retail copy of the OS and use that to boot to the repair functions (and see if that works for you).

If all of those fail, then we have to start thinking about hardware failure.

#7 r0th

r0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

I downloaded the Windows 8 installation from Windows and put it on usb, tried to boot from it and still went to a black screen. I'm kind of leaning to a hardware failure now but still want to try other repair drives. Do you have any suggestions to which one I should try? And if it is a hardware problem, what could the issue be?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

I've been fighting a Dell at work with similar problems - it was either video or USB, hardware or software.

2 different USB drives from Dell didn't work, nor did a retail USB drive from Microsoft.

But today I made my own W10 install drive and it worked just fine!

Have you tried updating to W10?  If you skip the product key prompt twice, it should automatically activate (if this hardware was activated w/W8 on it previously).

Beyond that, I'd have to guess hardware - but it's not real likely IMO.

Reverting back to W8 (or even W7) may give you different results.

Good luck!

#9 r0th

r0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

I used the Windows 10 setup from Microsoft and it loaded, went to the blue Windows logo and had a spinning dots, then black screen.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:57 AM

Try these free hardware diagnostics (they're bootable, so you don't need Windows):  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

You'll have to figure out how to disable Secure Boot and enable CSM/legacy mode in the UEFI - this will have to be done in order to boot from the disks.
DON'T forget to reset it back once you're done!!!

Otherwise I'd suggest installing W8 or even W7 from fresh recovery disks (you can order them from Asus:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#asus

#11 r0th

r0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

I tried using the memtest on usb. It did nothing, and when trying to manually boot to it from bios it flashed a black screen and went back to bios. I'm not sure at all which to go to for with hd tests. Also the laptop doesn't have a disk drive. I also tried to put the isos on usb using Rufus but it says it isn't bootable or incompatable.

Edited by r0th, 10 September 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Which test did you try?

This one is UEFI and BIOS compatible: http://www.memtest86.com/

#13 r0th

r0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:34 PM

I loaded Aviras bootable which had disk utilities and it said the hard drive had 15k bad sectors and was probably going to crash at any second. I'm going to replace the drive and see if things start working.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:54 AM

Great work!  You can double check with the bootable hard drive tests here:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

I'd use the Seagate Seatools test first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users