Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Definitely Infected with some kind of ad redirect, don't know where to start.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toyota Corolla

Toyota Corolla

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

If anyone could help, that'd be great.

just yesterday my laptop started redirecting every web page I open to ridiculous adds. every single web page or web link I click opens a new tab and redirects me to an ad and only when I close that advertising tab does the web page I want open. Running Windows 8 and it happens in Chrome and IE, i was told to see does it still happen in incognito mode in Chrome and it persists there too.

At the same time, it started happening on my phone too. any web links I click on Chrome or on the phones factory browser open a new tab full of ads and when I close that tab, it takes me where I want to go. Strangely if I click a Facebook link on the phone it doesn't open the link, but takes me to the google play store to random games and crap like that. The phone is Android 4.4.4

I've tried spybot, avast, avg, malwarebytes on both the phone and the laptop and they have found nothing. I've tried avast on the laptop too which has found nothing.

both the phone and the laptop are only a few weeks old so I did a factory reset on both the phone and laptop (because I hadn't much data to lose) and the factory reset didn't get rid of the problem either. I know that is probably the virus removal equivalent of turning something off and on again and expecting a fix.

now, i took out my old laptop to post this and just discovered that my old laptop (that had always been trouble free)(Windows 7) seems to have the same problem and my mothers smartphone (android 4.4.4) also has the problem and this device would rarely if ever communicate with any of mine, which has me wondering could this problem be connected to the broadband router somehow?

if anyone could give me some tips on where to begin, i'd really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

Are all the gadgets using the same WIFI? If so, Reset your router. If you don't know how to do that, post the make and model of the router.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Toyota Corolla

Toyota Corolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

Yes, they are all using the same WIFI. I just unplugged the WIFI modem and turned on my phones cellular 4G and the ads and redirects are completely gone in all browsers!

Edited by Toyota Corolla, 01 September 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#4 Toyota Corolla

Toyota Corolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:51 PM

And now i just plugged back in the WIFI modem and it doesn't work at all. I'm connected to it and it is connected to the internet according to the indicator lights on it but trying to access any webpages just says webpage not available. Ffs.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

Sometimes just removing the power to the WIFI router is not enough. But I would prefer you ask for help in another forum to reset the router and secure it.

Start a new topic in the Windows OS forum that is the same as the OS on the laptop possibly the 8.1 forum....Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

What you want to do is reset the router to its default settings and then secure the router. Info on securing the router in link below.

How to secure your home wireless network router.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users