Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My monitor speakers won't play sound

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BusterWD

BusterWD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi I've been using a 32" Bush TV as a monitor for my computer and a TV for a few years, a few days ago I updated my drivers and when I turned my computer on the next day, there was no sound coming from my speakers. I have fiddled around with the sound settings on my computer and looked on a few forums to try and find a solution and come up with nothing, it is the default device at the moment and sound only plays through my USB headset, not the TV. Hopefully you can give me a solution, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

What OS are you using? What were the drivers you updated? Are you using a HDMI cable to connect the TV to the computer? Right Click on the speaker icon in the task bar. Select Playback Devices. Is there a green checkmark next to Speakers or HDMI?

#3 BusterWD

BusterWD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hi, I'm using Windows 7, they were drivers for my AMD video card, yes I'm using a HDMI to connect the two and the tick is by the HDMI, its set as the default device but the sound still only comes through my headset.  I unplugged the headset to see how it would react to not having anything else to play through and it just doesn't play any sound at all. Thanks.

#4 BusterWD

BusterWD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

Also when I try to test the HDMI to see if sound will come through at all it comes up with 'The device is being used by another application.  Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and try again.'

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

Do you have a restore point before the driver update? See this thread. It is for Windows 8 but the same should hold for Windows 7. There may be another driver that is trying to access HDMI.

This AMD thread is very recent with people experiencing the same issue. The above link worked for some people.

#6 BusterWD

BusterWD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

I tried reinstalling the hardware and drivers before and it didn't work, but this has for some reason, thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Your Welcome, glad that link worked out for you and thanks for posting an update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users