Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Font changed to Windling after update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 810Bourne

810Bourne

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

Long time (10+) lurker, first time posting!

So, I went from W7U to W10.  I have been fine, until the last updates.  Somethng changes my system text to windling.

I was able to do a sysem restore to a day before that update. Strangely enough, some of that font was not in windling.

I opened Chrome, and it was also not in Windling.

I eventually had to restore to W7 because each time it updates, it flips to Windling.

Has anyone seen this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hello Bourne.

I found a few problems with Chrome after the latest updates (M/S still fixing errors), but Win 10 and Chrome have not mixed well since then.

There may have been something in the updates, but a few seem to be having recent update problems.

I am not sure of removal directions for Chrome on Win 10, but I think it is the same as W 8.1, so either uninstall and reinstall Chrome, or I decided to use F/fox mainly. Fonts seem to all be the same as earlier, and there are none of the problems I had with Chrome.

Always check in Control Panel >> Fonts, as I found 2 versions  >> Wingdings Regular and Webdings Regular..

#3 810Bourne

810Bourne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

I am not sure what you are talking about.  Chrome isn't a problem.  The problem is that after the update, my default font is changed to Windling. Chrome works just fine. I can't read the search bar, the notifications, ile names, app list, nothing except for the reset to windows 7 instructions.  Chrome works just fine after this happens, and doesn't change to Windling.

I am asking, how do I fix this from happening.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

810Bourne, I'm seriously trying not to laugh.  Your problem is not funny, but I just keep sitting here seeing you face those WEBDINGs for I know what the problem is like!  So let's fix it, k?

First way to fix it, is oddly enough, to use a Linux stick to boot your machine.  Buy one at Amazon or if you wanna DIY (faster, can do it in an hour).. make one.  You'll end up needing that stick to do all kinds of housekeeping with Windows, so it will come in handy for later things.  I suggest Linux Mint 17, especially the KDE flavor, for its desktop is most like Windows in appearance and 'philosophy'.

Next, you need to find an old Windows 95 program file called 'Plus!' on some old Windows 98 or 95 machine or disk lying around, part of your Program Files. Video here in its last half shows that folder and its contents.  I'd rather you tried to find it locally, as I'm not sure about the copyright to the downloads that are offered online.  BC (and me too for that matter) is quite strict about not pirating.  So I won't upload it for anyone, though I have more than one legal copy, myself.

Then:

1. Get that Plus! file, at least use a theme in it or make one on an XP or Win7 machine using the program, store the theme in the Themes folder (with all its parts you themed, all in same folder).  :cherry:
  2. Use the Linux stick to boot your computer (when the computer is off), copy the Plus! folder you just modified, to your Windows 10 machine's Program Files x86.  The Linux version of  File Explorer will have different names and will be familiar for the Windows directories (ignore everything else).  These Linux programs are named Dolphin or Caja or just File Manager.  Its icon should be on the Linux desktop; but if not, click in the Linux lower left corner for its own Start Menu with intelligible options.  Find the one which says 'file manager', use it to copy Plus! to the Program Files x86 in Windows. :orange:
  3. While you're there, go to Windows Fonts and sort the fonts by DATE DESCENDING.  Then scroll down and delete Webdings and Wingdings from the Windows/Fonts directory.  Heh.  Make sure the Fonts just before and after them are readableFor I suspect the problem is, your prior Windows didn't have the expected default font, or it got deleted, so Win10 just auto-selects the next font by date it was installed into the OS. (Windows 10 uses Segoe as the default, or sometimes Trebuchet MS, depends on the build;  yours is probably missing):thumbup2:
  4. When done, turn machine off, unplug the stick, wait a few minutes, then boot in Windows 10. 

At this point, due to #3, your problem might be solved without Plus!  Even so, you'll want to have recourse to changing desktop fonts for a lot of other reasons, and Win10 doesn't allow that.  So, you'll still need, Plus!

So, then do the steps I outlined here (search 'Actually, those other methods' to get to my post), or here.. and run THEMES.EXE .  The context in that link is Win8, but it works the same in Win10. (Video shows the steps in Win7, but the video recorder made the result not show up.)

Your Windows 10 fonts will become whatever you created in that THEME, unless the same fonts aren't on your Windows computer.  To correct that lapse, just copy the fonts TO the Windows Font folder.  Then run THEMES.EXE again.

Now, if ever the fonts bork again, you repeat the double-click on THEMES.exe .  I do it all the time in Win10 (well, before I stopped using Win10).  For sometimes, the updates or reboots make Win10 forget the fonts.  So put a shortcut to THEMES.EXE on your desktop, using the hints in that video.

Now, I won't be here much in the forum for the next few weeks, so if you need me, post as a guest in the Admin forum.  No one else can see what you post except me.  That forum is new, something I just made for my Youtube and vimeo subscribers, and it's eating my time right now fighting spambots to preserve a no-real-email-needed registration.  Plus, I gotta go back to work, my due diligence report on Win10 is done.

Edited by brainout, 01 September 2015 - 11:13 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 810Bourne

810Bourne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

Wow, a Windows 95 themer to fix a Windows 10 issue?  that's crazy. Thanks for the reply.  Is M$ aware of such a fatal mistake in the updates?

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

KILL ME NOW!  YOU CAN STILL BUY PLUS! in RETAIL new packaging, at Amazon, really really cheap!!! 

:gathering: I'll let you buy it first, k...

Win95 version, including new.       Really cheap, but it's Win95, so the options are more limited.  You will probably have fonts there which won't be on Win10.

Win98 version, including new (not as cheap, but probably has more options, I forget)

Now, someone around you if not you, will have an XP machine or Win98, you can install the program in either one.  It won't work on a 64-bit early Windows, I don't think.  It WILL work in 64-bit Win10, where I use(d) it.  Problem is, you have to create the theme in earlier Windows, as the later Windows won't allow theme creation like this.  It will import, but not create.  Silly, but then that's how it is with MSFT;  they always kill the good stuff and invent new bad stuff, like hating all people who need BETTER VISUAL FONTS.  Okay, shutting up...

Now, to your query.  To be honest, yours is the first report I've ever heard of Webdings being the default on install.  So the only possible conclusion is that the installer was ASSuming fonts on your machine which weren't there. That's a program bug, alright, as the registry is hard coded with the font and should have had substitutes.  You can't override the Win10 registry desktop fonts, in the released version (you used to be able, back last October but they block it now).

As for the Plus! being known by MSFT, yeah: I learned of it through thurott, whose link is in the 'Actually, those other methods' post.  That post is my first on this topic, because I read Thurott's article (he's an MS fanboy, read the link yourself and see);  he got it from Gabe Aul, the Windows 10 spokesguy tweeting every five seconds for PR.  It's all in the link, you'll see.

Edited by brainout, 01 September 2015 - 11:35 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 810Bourne

810Bourne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

Webding was not the default on install.  It was changed to Weding after the last update.  I am not going to search for a linux program, a Windows 98 program, and hack my computer.  This is a stupid problem from Microsoft, I will just choose to never use W10 again.

Thanks for your help, but that "fix" is a no go for me.

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

I don't blame you, Bourne. It almost makes me want to delete all the "dings" from my font folder, just in case. I can, at least, read all the other fonts...

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

Okay, thank you for the information.  I stopped using Win10 for legal reasons, so haven't checked for updates in several weeks. So you're not gonna fix the problem via the Linux stick, that Step #3 I described?  You don't even have to install Linux to do it.  Any purchased stick will do.

For if you remove the font from Windows Fonts, the OS will become readable. But you can't remove the font 'as is', you need to see the drive from some other OS, since Webdings is unreadable.

Webding was not the default on install.  It was changed to Weding after the last update.  I am not going to search for a linux program, a Windows 98 program, and hack my computer.  This is a stupid problem from Microsoft, I will just choose to never use W10 again.

Thanks for your help, but that "fix" is a no go for me.

Edited by brainout, 02 September 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#10 810Bourne

810Bourne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

They found the cause, are working to fix it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/all-fonts-are-missing-on-windows-10/7c93be3f-c8bc-4744-bf29-7f5bccaec767?tm=1440019576651

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:19 PM

Wow.  I'm glad I stopped using Windows 10 some weeks ago.  Thank you.  I love how they spin the problem to say 'a few', when dang don't they do any quality testing before sending out the patch?

Just so you know, pending that solution you can indeed solve the problem using the Linux stick to remove the webding fonts and replace it with other ones.  Win10 fonts will be the same as whatever you have in Windows 8 or 7, chiefly Arial, Segoe UI, Comic Sans MS, Trebuchet MS, Gill Sans MT, Times New Roman, Georgia, Cambria, Calibri, etc.  They are always in a Windows/Fonts directory.  So you can copy fonts to that directory, in Win10.  But then, you said you didn't want to do this.  So only if you want to change your mind, would this reminder be relevant.

BTW, the number of default fonts supplied by the Windows installer, is a heckuva lot bigger than 12 fonts, so let's not blame the user for the number of fonts that MSFT put in the registry...

Edited by brainout, 06 September 2015 - 11:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users