Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! After few freezes, my windows wont load past "Starting windows" screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wineax

wineax

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

After few total freezes when playing dota2, my windows won't load past starting windows screen (this), that end up with BSOD every time.

I'am think that my HDD is gone, but i need to know for sure.

I tried to run it in safe mode, but it can't load any file past CLASSPNP.SYS

I just need to know is that HDD or windows because my disk is something about 8 yo and I need to replace him anyway, but i would like to save files on him, that's why i need to start it up somehow.

Btw. can I copy my win7 32 registry to new win7 64, will that work in any way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

Start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

No, you cannot copy the regstry to another machine and expect it to work.

If able, try slaving the hard drive to another system and copying the files from it there.

If you can't slave it, then try a Live OS disk that will allow you to copy to an external drive (and you'll need an external drive)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

Thx for replaying, I started that diagnostic for memory, and it have found no errors, but i can't find out what i need to do with that had diagnostics, what to download and how to put it on usb? I'am using Hitachi HDD.

Edited by wineax, 06 September 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#4 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

OK, it is the 0x00000074 BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO BSOD error, do you know how to fix this, ill try to figure it out myself.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

For the hard drive diagnostics you should use the Seagate Seatools.

The BSOD error points to bad information for the system - which is stored on the hard drive

This error can be due to corrupted files on the hard drive (particularly in the registry and the BCD) - either due to hard drive problems, or due to other corrupting influences.

Here's the info that I have on this error:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000074

First step is to backup your data.  If there's a problem with the hard drive you may not be able to back it up if you wait too long.

Then run the diagnostics.

If the hard drive passes the diagnostics, then we can try other tests.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

OK, now i get error when booting from USB with Seagate Seatools, this is the error: 

"Bad or missing command line interpreter: command.com /P /E:256. Enter the full shell command line"

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

You'll have to post over in the hardware forums for more help with this - I'm not familiar with making the Seatools work from USB.

Also, you could try installing the Seatools for Windows program and see if that works for you.

#8 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:18 AM

I'd love to do that but i can't enter the windows, that's the main problem.

I just get error after error, I tried to run few diagnostics for HDD, but i can't run any of them from USB.

Do you know some other forum that is more familiar with HDD problems?

Edited by wineax, 15 September 2015 - 05:18 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:39 AM

Actually, you could post at the forums of the hard drive manufacturer.

But at work, when we have problems like this the solution is to try another hard drive (making sure to remove the old hard drive)

If you purchase a hard drive from a shop that allows returns, you can do this and run the test - then return the drive if it's not needed.  If the test still wont' run, then you'll have to assume that the hard drive isn't the problem.

#10 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

Ok thanks for the info, i'll try to figure it out.

Edited by wineax, 15 September 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#11 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

I have one more problem after all, cmd is running from x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and not from c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and i cant change cd c:\ it says that command "\" is not recognizable or something like that, so basically i cant run any useful commands in cmd that involve " \ " or " / ".

Edited by wineax, 21 September 2015 - 06:10 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

Try C: (don't use CD nor use the \ ) and press Enter

If the file system on the C: drive has been recognized, it will allow you to switch to it (to be technical - the C: drive is actually the C: volume)

Don't be surprised if the commands from the C: drive don't work when booting from external media.

There's numerous reasons for it not working - but mainly it's because Windows isn't running, and what is running isn't running from the C: drive (this is determined when the system boots from the X: drive).

The X: drive OS should have the usual supply of internal commands, and may have some additional external commands that will function in the OS

The point here is that the OS is running from the X: drive (whatever you booted from), and it doesn't know anything about what's on the C: drive (in order to run it).  This includes a lot of stuff that's loaded on boot - particularly from the registry (and there's no easy way to go around this restriction in most cases).

Edited by usasma, 21 September 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#13 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

But i'am running cmd from system recovery options, from my hdd, not from usb or cd.

And my system recovery says that operating system is windows 7 on (C:) local disk so it registers that windows is there.

OK, when using only c: it says The syntax of the command is incorrect, and when using c:\ it says "\" is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file.

Edited by wineax, 21 September 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#14 wineax

wineax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:31 AM

Also bcdedit showed no errors, but i have increaseuserva 3072, can this be the problem? My windows (32bit) is using 3,2 or 3 gb of RAM for few years now, with no problems of this kind before. However, i have tried to delete the value with bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva, but an error occurred saying Element not found. This is still cmd from X:\windows\system32.

Is there any other way to return increaseuserva to default?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:26 AM

I would strongly suggest that you post over in the Windows 7 forums for further assistance.

Your actions are well outside of areas that I feel comfortable helping with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users