Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup programs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

Having got Win 10 Home Premium running I have several programs running at start up that I am not sure I need. There are others that I can see I need.

From Task Manager > Start-Up:-

hpsysdrv -  This is an HP machine but do I need this? I found this this:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hpsysdrv.exe-2046.html

It seems I could live without that.

Sentry for PDF - What does this do?

and finally rather odd is:-

Program - No publisher, enabled and Not measured; a plain icon with turned down top right corner.

What could this be

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

Hello,

I would leave the HP Process on it seems to be important for HP Apps and HP Recovery programs to work correctly.

As far as the unknown process goes to investigate this; right click on it and select Open File Location this will bring you to the folder of which it is in;

It should give you a idea of what it is, based on were it is.

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 01 September 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hi athegn :)

Starting under Windows 8, when you have an entry called Program under the Startup tab in the Task Manager, it means that a program was uninstalled and the startup entry wasn't removed but cannot be used anymore. If you want, we could find it using Autoruns and make you delete it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Aura

I would like to know what it was. How do I use autoruns?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

Follow the instructions below please.

sUc2qjf.pngAutoruns - Start-up Entries
Follow the instructions below to give me an Autoruns log containing your start-up entries:
  • Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on File then Save and save the file to a location easily accessible as a .arn (Autoruns) file;
  • Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw23ria426nwxtx/ALAN-HP.arn?dl=0

I take it that the yellow highlighted items need some attention?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

Yup, since it means that the file the entry points at is missing. However, not all of them should be deleted. I'm sure that the blank "Program" in the Startup tab is caused by this one. Right-click on it and select Delete. Once done, check if the Program entry is still there. If it is, restart your computer and check again.
uMICMGK.png

unite_blue.png

#8 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

Thank you

That has got rid of "Program".

I would still like to know what:-

Sentry for PDF

does?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:48 AM

It's an executable associated with PDF Complete.

http://www.file.net/process/pdfsty.exe.html

As to what it does exactly, most likely allows PDF Complete to execute whenever you need it so it's already started.

unite_blue.png

#10 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

Perhaps I should have asked do I need PDF Complete?

I do not think I do; I have Adobe Reader and Libre Office which handles all the PDF functions I need.

When I lookup Apps and Features PDF Complete shows as Unavailable; so I have a program in Start up that operates an unavailable program.

Will delete Sentry via autoruns.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

If you don't need it you can uninstall it via the Control Panel, it should work.

unite_blue.png

#12 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

It is marked Unavailable in System > Apps & features so cannot be uninstalled?

Don't exist here either:-

The quickest way to get rid of any desktop program or Windows Store app in Windows 10 is to head to the Start menu.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:27 PM

I would still use the Control Panel. Go in the Control Panel, and under Programs, click on "Uninstall a program", then see if you have PDF Complete listed there.

unite_blue.png

#14 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

Thanks

Forgot that to get to Control panel is, to me, more awkward that previous Windows OS!

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:35 PM

I rarely use the new "System" interface. I'm more at ease with the Control Panel. I'll learn to use it eventually and get adapted to it, but for now, if I need to instruct someone to do something, it'll be via the Control Panel :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users