Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard has intermittent top row failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 siminu2

siminu2

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

I have a HP Pavilion g7 1227 nr.  I have changed the hard drive out and cleaned the fan because it was running hot.  I have also replaced the keyboard once.  I have updated to Windows 10 and for the most part everything works well except on start up the upper letter row does not work.  This happens on start up and then will kick in after awhile.

I have deleted the keyboard in device manager and updated all drivers.  Nothing seems to work.  I am bewildered as to the issue.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

Try a different keyboard?

Try cleaning dust, crumbs, etc. from the keyboard?

Louis

#3 siminu2

siminu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

Thank y Louis, the keyboard is new. It is cleaned weekly and nothing is ever eaten over it. It is dusted daily. any other suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

I see that the system is a laptop...I would contact HP, particularly if you have had previous problems relative to keyboard.

Do you experience same problem using an external keyboard with this laptop?

Louis

#5 siminu2

siminu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:33 AM

Thank you Louis, I have contacted HP and they were bewildered. Funny though, I was surfing the net and found a possible answer . until, for a totally unrelated reason, i had to remove the battery, and simply, on a whim, decided to run the machine without it.

Lo and behold : the problem vanished.

Researching the miraculous cure via Google, i discovered that the problem describe is a common one with certain machines (all of them Acer, as far as i saw) : a defective battery -- for instance, one that won't charge beyond a low percentage -- will cause the keyboard to freeze or otherwise behave erratically. Strange, but true.

So, my suggestion : run your laptop without the battery, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know what to have to buy next... .

This has worked so far.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

Feedback and tip appreciated :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users