Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver_Power_State_Failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

Some time ago, I acquired a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7.  It did not have Restore Discs, so I immediately made a system disc image, then restored it on another hard drive,installed the other hard drive, and put away the original drive.  Both drives started fine.  Since this laptop is a spare, I put it all away on a shelf in case something happens to my usual machine, which it did.  When I started the Sony, it got the below startup error, so I switched back to the original disk and it got the same error.  They both will start in Safe Mode.  I don't know how this would happen by just sitting on a shelf.  Is there a way to fix it?  Thanks.

Driver_Power_State_Failure
0x0000009F
0x0000000000000004
0x0000000000000258
0xFFFFFA80024CBB60
0xFFFFF80004052510

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

This may not all get collected in SafeMode - so this is what I need at a minimum:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

Edited by usasma, 01 September 2015 - 03:48 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:20 AM

1. There is no folder, c:\windows\Minidump.

2. There is no file, c:\windows\memory.dmp

3. There were no search results for files, *.dmp, *.mdmp, *.hdmp.

4. After setting, per the instructions (http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html), system for minidumps, repeating the above resulted in the same.

5. msinfo32.nfo, msinfo.txt, systeminfo.txt, SysnativeFileCollectionApp attached.

6.  "Perfmon /report" says, "Error:  An error occurred while attempting to generate the report.  The system cannot find the path specified."

OS - Windows 7
· x64
· What was original installed OS on system?  I think it was XP.
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?  I don't know.  Probably full version.
· Age of system (hardware)  I don't know.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?  I don't know.  I did not reinstall.

· CPU  Intel T7200, 2GHz
· Video Card  Device Mangager says, Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
· MotherBoard - (laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (laptop)

· System Manufacturer  Sony
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) VGN-SZ340

· Laptop

8.  In regards to running Driver Verifier, instructions say to create a restore point first.  Is that possible in Safe Mode?  Typing and selecting "Create a Restore Point" opens "System Properties".  In Control Panel-System, there is no System Protection option shown.

Thank-you.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:56 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version R0093N0) dates from 2006.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 7 Windows Updates and Service Pack 1 isn't installed.  Most systems (with Service Pack 1) have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).  This is going to take a long time - but start with SP1 first.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Security Processor Loader Driver    ROOT\LEGACY_SPLDR\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
Not Available    USB\VID_05CA&PID_1830\5&15C14407&0&6    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The first item will likely be fixed when you get ALL of the WIndows Updates.

The second item is most likely a Ricoh Visual Communications Camera - which should be available from the Sony support website

Please install these drivers.  Let us know if you run into problems with them.

There is no evidence of a BSOD crash in the reports either.

This either means that the BSOD occurred before the components loaded for recording it - or that the system isn't capturing them properly.

As this is a STOP 0x9F error - I'd suspect that the latter is the case (that for some reason, the system isn't capturing them).

From looking at the reports, this is not a standard Sony installation - the system is missing many of the Sony programs and doesn't have nearly enough stuff installed on it to make it fully functional.

Do you still have the recovery media for the Sony?  If so, try a restore using that.

If not, contact Sony for a set of recovery disks

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM

There is a BIOS update, but when it is installing it says:
"Reading system information",
then,
"Cannot read system information", and then does not install.

For Security Processor Loader Driver, I found this, and Device Manager shows that it is fixed now:

http://batcmd.com/windows/7/services/spldr/

However, it still gets the same error when not starting in Safe Mode.

The web camera driver does not exist for Windows 7.  I have never had it.  It has never been installed.

Before I try all the Windows updates, I want to point out that before this machine went on the shelf as I described earlier, I used it for about a month without any updates and there was never a web cam driver, and there was no problem.  Nothing I did on the copy drive could have caused this  because I have the original, unchanged hard drive that also produces the error now, but worked fine before.

5. Not sure if this is important or helpful, but it takes about 40 minutes for this error to display.  Until then, it just shows the Starting Windows logo.

6.  If it is not "fully functional" as a Sony, it is sufficiently functional for what I need....(when it was working).

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:05 AM

This is your system and your call how you work on it.

I spend my time attempting to make systems work "normally" - I don't do tweaks and I don't do overclocking (have done a lot of it in the past and find that it's not worth the added effort).

Should you desire to have them work otherwise, I'd suggest posting in one of the customization forums available around the web.

I would think that there should be some sort of concern because the system(s) don't work, and you can't even install a BIOS update.

Edited by usasma, 03 September 2015 - 05:06 AM.

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

I am sorry, I hope you did not misunderstand.

I think it is probable that the BIOS update might not install from Safe Mode.

Before I can get it to work "normally", I need it to work at all.  The system(s) all worked before, and something seems to have happened when I was not even using it.  I am not concerned with any "tweaks" or extras.

I cannot do any Windows updates in Safe Mode anyway.  It won't let me.  ("This service cannot be started in Safe Mode"--Windows Update Installer)

If you are concerned about the web cam, I can keep searching after getting running again.  It s my understanding that a web cam, like a printer, is not a critical device such as a keyboard or mouse.  I was able to fix the other driver that you pointed out.

#8 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Maybe it is I who misunderstand. 

I do understand that you offer to make the system I have work normally and without any extras or "tweaks" as you call it.  I do not disagree with that.   Your post sounds to me like you think that I have asked for something more than what you offer, and/or that I refuse to do something that you suggest.  I do not see that I have done that.  I have followed most of your suggestions and posted the results of them, but offered additional, and what I think might be relevant, information about the others that could be helpful and/or that might affect and/or potentially cause you to modify those remaining suggestions given the additional facts, for which I was awaiting your confirmation.  If the foregoing is not representative of what you understand, please, explain.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

I understand that I may be the one who didn't understand, so I am willing to listen also.

There are miscommunications all the time while we're working here.  We work our way through them.

I suspect that this is just a miscommunication, so I stated my intentions plainly - so if there is a difference between us we can settle it early on.

I apologize if I have offended you - but I did this in the interest of trying to solve your problem.

As I understand it now, your goal is to have the system boot in normal mode.

It only boots in Safe Mode now.  Is this correct?

If I'm correct, then let's start by trying a "clean boot"

The instructions are here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

#10 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:44 PM

1. I was not and am not offended.  I was just a little baffled.  I appreciate your help--thank-you.

2. Yes, that is it. All I need is normal mode, which it did fine until I stored it away for a while.

3.  "clean boot"--I have tried that already, but I tried it again anyway, but no different.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:03 AM

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

I'd suggest a wipe and reinstall of Windows - but wonder if it'll help or not.

You may want to get a second opinion on this (and I'd be interested in seeing if I had missed something).

Maybe you could post over in the Windows 7 forum for some additional suggestions?

#12 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

This BSOD was solved:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589484/driver-power-state-failure/page-3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users