Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen, problem with Mobo or CPU?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dabomb18359

dabomb18359

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

I put together a new PC, but I'm having a problem with the graphics. I only have integrated graphics from the core i5-4460, mobo has VGA out only which my monitor has.

Whether I use monitor A or monitor B, when I have the appropriate driver for the intel graphics, I cannot output at resolutions above 1024x768. It shows up as an option, but choosing a higher res and selecting "apply" makes the screen go black and the monitor says no signal.

~ It's not a driver issue, I've tried several drivers and know I'm using the right one.

~ It's not a cable issue, cables are in firmly.

~ Latest version of BIOS is installed.

~ It's not a problem of BIOS selecting the wrong graphics source at boot, I have no external GPU so it only uses integrated graphics.

~ It's not a monitor issue, I've tried with 2 separate monitors and they both have the same problem, although they work flawlessly with any other PC connected.

~ RAM is fine, I did Memtest and 0 errors.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with my motherboard or the CPU since the i5 I have has the integrated graphics. Those should be the only 2 possibilities remaining for me.

Any way of knowing besides simply buying new stuff and testing? I don't want to have to return and buy new CPU/mobo unless I know they're the problem. Thanks!

Parts:

intel Core i5-4460

Gigabyte H81M-S1 r2.1

8 GB RAM

Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2015 - 10:13 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users