Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exchange Server 2007 Size

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stevthym

stevthym

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hi!

I have an Exchange 2007 Server which had about 200 mailboxes. I cleaned about 80 mailboxes and archived more than 70 GB of data. However the size of the server did not increase. How can I resolve that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:35 PM

All that you have done is to free up space with the Mailbox database. The file holding the database remains the same size and will not shrink itself.

You would need to take the database off-line and run eseutil to shrink the database. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997972%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Not that this operation can take a very long time (10's of hours at least) and in that period, your mailboxes would be unavailable, and there is always some risk with using these tools, particularly if you are unfamiliar with them.

Just a thought..... If you have enough free space (you seem to be concerned about free space, so I'm not holding my breath!) maybe you could create a second mailbox database and move users mailboxes to it to it, then remove or shrink the old database once it affects less users..

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users