Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung laptop not shutting down, rebooting, or sleeping properly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 T2theR

T2theR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

Hello,

A while ago, friends of mine got a Samsung NP370r5e-a02nl laptop for a good price. The downside was, that it had already been used and was full of useless programs and had become quite slow. So, as being the 'computer guy', I decided it could use a clean install of windows 8 (it came with 7 installed). So after installing I discovered that the laptop wouldn't shut down. It only got to a point where the screen is black and nothing seems to respond, but the fans and power led stay on. So at the next boot I tried to reboot to see what happens. Turns out that it in fact shuts down, but doesn't power on again. When going to sleep (by closing the lid or waiting long enough), it shows the same symptoms as when shutting down. 
I have to say, I think I've tried every possible solution I could find. I reinstalled Windows several times, including Windows 10, and a downgrade back to 7, but the problem persists. Every time I've installed a version of Windows, I updated all the possible drivers I could find. None were a solution to the problem. I even swapped the harddrive for an SSD because, next to it being quite slow, I thought it was malfunctioning. This also had no effect on the problem. Also checked the BIOS for any faulty settings but couldn't find any. I also installed Windows under an EFI as well as standard BIOS to see if it would matter, but it doesn't. 

Now at this time, I'm running out of options. Is there anyone here that could help me find and fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Tristan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dwarak17

dwarak17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

Generally, installation disc is taken for Windows system factory reset. But if there is no installation disc, how to do? Don’t worry, now recovery partition has been provided in Windows 7/8 to restore computer to factory defaults.

Main steps to factory reset laptop without disc:

1. preparation
  2. Factory reset when access to laptop successfully
  3. Factory Reset when laptop couldn’t boot properly
1. Preparation

Factory reset laptop would make your files and programs lose. These personal files and programs are created or installed after your laptop is originally set up.

And before you start system restore, Windows system would prompt you to backup files and programs you want to save. And then you have to make sure you have correct serial numbers and registration information of Windows system and programs for reinstallation process.

system-backup.png

2. Factory Reset Laptop When Could Access to It Successfully

In Windows 7 and 8, there is system recovery partition provided. When you want to restore your laptop to factory settings in order to get a fresh and clean start, or get ready to sell it to others, make full use of recovery partition.

Step 1: Access to laptop, click Start and type in “Recovery” in Windows 7 search box. And that will bring up a method for you to recover your laptop. Choose “Recovery” program.

open-system-recovery-program.png

Step 2: Click “Open System Restore” to run System Restore program.

start-system-restore-program.png

Step 3: Select a system restore point.

choose-system-restore-point.png

There are several restore points listed in the box, choose the restore point you want to restore system to. And click “Next”. If you want to make sure you have back up all the appropriate programs, you could click “Scan for affected programs” to check which programs the system restore would affect. And then backup them first.

Step 4: Confirm restore point and click “Finish” to start restore system settings.

Please close all the open files and programs before computer restarts to begin system restore.

3. Factory Reset Laptop When Laptop Couldn’t Boot Properly

If your laptop has met some problems that prevent Windows booting properly, you have to start laptop to run recovery procedure from boot menu. Different laptop manufacturers offer different F keys to enter the boot menu.

enter-windows-boot-menu.png

In the BIOS screen, you could see there is one kind of F key provided for laptop to restore system to default settings. Press F9 and a dialog “Setup Configuration” pops up.

load-system-default-settings.png

Choose “Yes” when it ask “Load default configuration now?”. And then wait for Windows load system default settings.

And when Windows 8 laptop encounters such functional problems, it would typically open the Automatic Repair screen, which allows you to attempt to repair the damage from there and move on to restore system to factory settings.

If all of the above couldn’t work for your laptop, you would need backup disc to restore system to early backup point. By the way, factory reset laptop or computer is a way to remove windows forgotten password http://www.besanttechnologies.com/training-courses/java-training

#4 sonodade

sonodade

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

Attached File  shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.zip   4.71MB   0 downloadsLet me say something.

I have the SAME issue (can not go to sleep, shutdown or restart my pc without it staying at least 3-4 minutes with a black screen, before rebooting).

Samsung NP350V5C with windows 10. 

I hope it's some sort of driver issue, at least that's the only thing that comes to mind.

I think resetting windows is worthless, I've seen countless reports of failures in fixing this problem with system restore.

I need some help, too!

PS: ran some xbootmgr on shutdown, too, and results are worrying.

Attachment: my run of xbootmgr.

Edited by sonodade, 01 September 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

sonodade

please start your own topic so that your problem can get the individual attention that it deserves

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 T2theR

T2theR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

Usasma
I have provided the requested files as an attachment to this post. Let me know if you need anything else.

Dwarak

I'm not sure what you are getting on to, but I don't think you quite understand the issue I'm having. 

Sonodade

I'm bearing with you here but please don't hijack my thread.

Attached Files

Edited by T2theR, 01 September 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

When you reinstalled Windows, did you use the drivers from Samsung first?

If not, then there may be issues as Samsung uses customized drivers on it's system.

For example, my Samsung NP780 uses AMD video drivers that are signed by Intel.

If you download the drivers from the AMD website, you'll end up with problems because the driver isn't signed correctly to work with the Samsung switching software.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P15RAN.208.140429.ZW) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Lot's of problems with activation - is this a legitmate copy of Windows?

Also lot's of problems with Windows Update.

I would strongly suggest reverting to the original OS (W7) and hard drive.

Troubleshooting will be much easier in that configuration.

#8 T2theR

T2theR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

Well, the thing is that with the update feature in Windows 10 it is very hard to not let windows decide what drivers to use. I understand that there might be some conflict indeed. Any solutions? Just a quick reinstall maybe, turning off updates and then let the Samsung update utility decide what drivers are necessary?

About the BIOS, it was the first thing that came to my mind, but sadly Samsung doesn't provide any update for the BIOS of this model. Is there any other source that I might find an update at? 

The activation isn't done because I just wanted to test different versions of Windows, to see if the problem would persist.

It would be a real pain to switch to the original HDD again since it's quite slow, and when I installed Windows 7, it took about a day to install 212 updates. If possible, I'd like to avoid doing all that over again.

#9 T2theR

T2theR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

So, anyone?

#10 T2theR

T2theR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:47 AM

Well, good news, the problem has been solved! The downside is that I still do not really know what caused the problem, but I think some hardware issue was the culprit. I opened up the laptop to remove the CMOS battery, and while I was at it I also pushed some little button on the battery (not sure what that does), removed the battery cable and did a power cycle. I also noticed that the laptop had taken quite a beating because the battery screw clamps were broken, so I repositioned the battery a bit and retightened it. After this, the laptop didn't boot up anymore! It only powered the fan for a second, about three seconds after the power button was pushed, and then did nothing (although the power LED was lit). So I panicked, thinking maybe somehow I erased the BIOS or something. Then I tried to boot without the CMOS battery, and suddenly it booted up again. So I shut it down (which was working properly now) and reconnected the CMOS battery. And now it correctly powers down, and goes to sleep, reboots, etc. 

Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users