Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

heard bad things about windows defender

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

I don't think that I've been bitten by the Win 10 takeover effort, but I have heard the win 10 version of widows defender stops competing software from working and can't be removed.  So, I'm not taking any chances and want to remove it from my win 7 Pro OS before an update bites me.  I can't find any conventional way of doing this.  I can only find a way to turn it off from being the default AV in Action Center, but I still get definition updates for it and won't use it anymore.  Norton 360 is my 'everyday driver' among others.  Programs and Features doesn't list it.  Revo Uninstaller Pro doesn't show it.  I haven't looked in Services yet, spent hours last night turning off services that somehow started again, some that were new ... the 'emaculate deception'.  Any suggestions?  - R

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2015 - 06:50 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:42 AM

Windows Defender under Windows 7 is only an antispyware and not an antivirus. You can't remove it as it is part of the OS - the most that you can do is disabling it, but leaving it on won't hurt anyone.

Also the "Windows Defender cannot be turned off" only applies to Windows 10 AFAIK - even under 8 and 8.1 WD did not behave that way.

#3 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:46 AM

Removing it seems not advisable... but you could disable it.

On this page scroll down to "How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 or 8" and perform the steps.

Do you get defender updates after you did these steps ?

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#4 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

HA!  Thanks OTT, that was reassuring and believe it or not, those were my settings.  Don't know why I got a definition update a while back.  Alexstrasza says it's only an antispyware program.  If that's the case, then MS is the last thing that I will rely upon for anti-spyware.  Thanks again.  - R

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

Windows 7 offers Security Essentials as an antivirus.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows Defender 8/10 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants...then Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus you may receive a message indicated your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, you will need to manually turn it on.

If you want to use another anti-virus then you need to disable Windows Defender before installation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

Windows 7 offers Security Essentials as an antivirus.

dc3 - Thanks for your input, but Security Essentials, now there's a 'boat anchor'.  Found it and quickly lost it a while back.  I don't think they are supporting it well enough.  Works like a half-baked Linux program, all patched together.  Many of the programs caused as much trouble as a regular virus. No Joke.  SE was a traumatic experience for me.  - R

#8 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. Windows 8 and Windows 10 ...

quietman7 - Thanks for straitening me out on that one.  One less thing to worry about ... and you did so without being demeaning/snarky.  Case closed.  Kudos  -R

Edited by RVAH-12, 01 September 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#9 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Windows Defender under Windows 7 is only an antispyware and not an antivirus. You can't remove it as it is part of the OS - the most that you can do is disabling it, but leaving it on won't hurt anyone.

Also the "Windows Defender cannot be turned off" only applies to Windows 10 AFAIK - even under 8 and 8.1 WD did not behave that way.

Alexstrasza - I had to disable it (unless I ran it).  Norton 360 is my 'daily driver' and they didn't play well together at times.  Those AV's are a lot like us, aren't they?  - R

#10 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

O.T.T. -

"Do you get defender updates after you did these steps ?"

I've gotten 1 a couple of weeks ago 'out of the blue".  That's why I was getting paranoid.  Thought it might be another ploy by MS.  Who knows.

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:14 AM

Alexstrasza - I had to disable it (unless I ran it).  Norton 360 is my 'daily driver' and they didn't play well together at times.  Those AV's are a lot like us, aren't they?  - R

I use Emsisoft Internet Security, and I leave Windows Defender enabled. Since it's just an antispyware (somewhat like Malwarebytes) leaving it on won't cause conflict and does not hurt anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users