Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will all Win 7 updates have to be scrutinized for Win 10-like files?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:32 AM

I doubt that anyone knows for certain, but I haven't heard of any assurances to the contrary.  Today is another 'black Tuesday' and I'm trying to plan my time.  lol

- R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

I run Windows 7 + SP1 + no further updates and I don't regret the decision I made !

That way I can "tune" my system for privacy and safety without the interference of MS updates.

I also run multiple OS's in VirtualBox to achieve better safety and privacy.

Sometimes I even wear a "tin foil hat" !  :crazy:

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#3 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:53 AM

hehehe  Sometimes I like to chew on tin foil!  lol

Aren't you concerned that you'll miss 'real' security updates"?  I'll bet that there a many holes that still need patched ... good ol' Windohs.  It's the only OS I have (please respect me), but much more of this, and I'll scrap everything and throw the baby out with the bath water.  Even though I have substantial $$$ in other programs, I'll probably be begging for help and complaining in the Linux Forum before long, but I STILL have a little fight left in me for a 60 year-old fart.  - R  (little secret, I beta-tested Windows 3.0 that released as 3.0a)  shhhhh

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

Today is another 'black Tuesday' and I'm trying to plan my time

Patch Tuesday is on the second Tuesday of the month. We still have one week to go.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:39 AM

RVAH-12 :

Not really, lately every new "real" security update makes another hole...

I like and prefer to secure my OS by locking down features and programs via different settings (the Linux way).

Responsible use (surf and click behavior) also helps a lot...

GNU/Linux is good but ATM it lacks the hard- and software support that Windows has, maybe in time...

OTT

Edited by O.T.T., 01 September 2015 - 05:43 AM.

#6 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

Like today (I think).  KB3092627 September 2015 update to fix Windows or application freezes after you install  security update 3076895.  A Security update labeled Recommended about an AMD update to an old update that hey claim works better.  I checked into the User Agreement and all I found was that gibberish about retrieving data  blah blah, and MSs rights to do this and that blah blah blah.  Basically they've adopted the the same BS that started with the pre Win 10 agreement.  It looks like an up-hill climb from here on out.  Like things aren't difficult enough already.  I don't think that there's going to be any way around it.  I didn't install, to say the least.  I have Firebird all set up and working fine, just installed Firefox and it came together like a dream ... transfers settings, bookmarks, add-ons, and extensions from IE with little effort.  Now I just need the guts to go full Montey, errr I mean full Linux.  So, I'll be heading down to the bottom of the board where the Linux people live before long.  They will have a lot of company soon when Win 7 users start to find out that the OS they tried so hard to get back is 'turning snake' on them ... the poor slobs.  Too bad there isn't Linux/Mozilla stock.  It's a 'brave new world' out there!   -R

Edited by RVAH-12, 01 September 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

Like today (I think). KB3092627 September 2015 update to fix Windows or application freezes after you install security update 3076895. A Security update labeled Recommended about an AMD update to an old update that hey claim works better. I checked into the User Agreement and all I found was that gibberish about retrieving data blah blah, and MSs rights to do this and that blah blah blah. Basically they've adopted the the same BS that started with the pre Win 10 agreement.

Links to these articles, and quotes of the passages that say this in the EULA?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

O.T.T. -

I forgot to mention that you should take a good look at you Services settings.  A lot of mine were turned back on and they added a few as well.  MS is slick aren't they.  I was wondering why my system was so sluggish and had to spend a lot of time rehashing their settings all over again.

#9 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

I don't do system updates/upgrades anymore, see reply #2.

Every service was set the way I wanted or even deleted a long time ago.

Windows 8 (MS login needed to fully use the OS) is where I have drawn my line !  :)

Everybody has to decide for himself...

OTT

#10 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

No Aura, those weren't quotes or you would have seen these little things => " ".   If you want a rebuttal then you look it up.  I don't go around logging URLs and copying text to prove my point.  I try to use logic and trust that those who read it, trust me to tell the truth.  So there you go.  Look it up and follow the links, they've already been written down.  Look for "Terms of Use."

You being "Technical Support", it seems that would be your job ... to overwhelm us with links.  "Don't confuse me with the facts!" - Richard Millhouse Nixon  Not my favorite guy, but the "quote" came to mind for some reason.  Your insistence for people to PROVE everything they say is tantamount to calling them liars.  I hope you know that.  I would NEVER knowingly mislead anybody, even you.  - R

O.K. - over 24 hrs. since I've slept (because I am not well) so I'll help you out:

"https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3092627"

Mod Edit:  Removed text taken from link posted, unnecessary duplication serving no purpose other than wasting bandwidth - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

When you claim something, you need to provide facts and proofs, otherwise we cannot know if you are telling the truth or not. It's common sense really. How do you expect the readers to believe you if you cannot back up what you say?

Also, the "ToU" you quoted seems to be the a general ToU, not specific to that update only. So why would it matter only now? From what I can see right now, the update you linked is legitimate and should be applied to computers that uses any of the programs listed in the article that are affected.

Terms of Use:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/sites/legal/

Edited by Aura, 01 September 2015 - 05:52 PM.

unite_blue.png

#12 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

When you claim something, you need to provide facts and proofs, otherwise we cannot know if you are telling the truth or not. It's common sense really. How do you expect the readers to believe you if you cannot back up what you say?

Also, the "ToU" you quoted seems to be the a general ToU, not specific to that update only. So why would it matter only now? From what I can see right now, the update you linked is legitimate and should be applied to computers that uses any of the programs listed in the article that are affected.

Terms of Use:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/sites/legal/

"Also, the "ToU" you quoted seems..."  It's not necessary to put quotes around ToU, I never said that.  I said Terms of Use, but having a degree in English  I'll give you some latitude with your 'grammer and speeling' , hell, you can even make up your own acronyms.  "...general ToU, not specific to that update only."  That's exactly right, Aura.  The 'we can do anything' clause has been generalized to other OSs as well.  I guess you missed the point again.  "...should be applied to computers that uses any of the programs listed ..."  The update we are referring to was referencing AMD chips, not programs.  Notice, no " "s there, I said that all on my very own.  "https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/sites/legal/"  What's the point of re-posting a link to the Terms of Use when we all know what they are now ... rather redundent, don't you think?  Oh, and your welcome.  I'll stay up for another day just to enlighten you.  Keep the Qs coming.  -R

Edited by RVAH-12, 01 September 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:51 PM

Alright, then link me to that update? I doubt you have anything to teach me to be honest.

Edited by Aura, 01 September 2015 - 06:52 PM.

unite_blue.png

#14 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:15 PM

Today is another 'black Tuesday' and I'm trying to plan my time

Patch Tuesday is on the second Tuesday of the month. We still have one week to go.

I want to thank you again for straightening me out.  Boy, there's another nugget - golden!  Please leave me alone, Teacher, or I'm going to tell Mommy that you touched me. - R

#15 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

Alright, then link me to that update?  I doubt you have anything to teach me to be honest.

Oh paleeese.  An English Major?  Four whole years?  Are you serious?  You've no clue at all.  - R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users