Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gabb

Gabb

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

That about sums it. For the past week my computer has been shutting down and refusing to turn back on for more than five minutes at a time. Sometimes it will turn off while rebooting, sometimes after reaching the log-in screen, sometimes it will happen during start up, sometimes just after it has finished, and on rare occassions it will let me start a virus scan or attempt to check settings before deciding it no longer wants to be on. Until today I hadn't recieved any error messages, it just refused to stay on, even in safe mode. Now however, I only get a blue message saying:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

It goes on to suggest I check any new hardware, but I haven't installed any. It also said to "disable BIOS memory options"?

And ended with:
Technical Information:
***STOP 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFF8, 0x00000002, 0x000000001, 0x804D9044)

I am painfully and embarassingly ignorant to the workings of my computer, so please bare with me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Evan198

Evan198

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

hijack this is the program i reccomend getting. Then go to the Hijack Logs board and paste your results. Your results will come in a text document, or .txt Just past what you get into that document into a new message on that board, and someone from the hijack team will adress the problem
Posted Image

#3 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

it sounds like it might be a hardware error. . .

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311564/

i know that i haven't helped you to solve it, but maybe it will be easier to tell what the cause is. . .

Edited by ambellina, 15 July 2006 - 02:27 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:28 PM

Is this something that recently started happening?

Try to start in safe mode (keep tapping F8 before Windows tries to start)
and choose Last Known Good Configuration if you can get that far.

Do you have a Windows XP installation cd? Or- a restore cd supplied by the manufacturer of the computer?

What make and model is the computer - it may have a restore partition that can be accessed before Windows starts.

#5 Gabb

Gabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. But the problem with downloading anything, is Windows won't fully load. All I get is that same error message every time I turn it on. It won't let me in safe mode. And I've tried "last known good configuration" over two dozen times. Nothing.

The computer came with Windows XP already installed and no installation disc that I am aware of, or else I would have attempted to reinstall it.

It's a HP Pavilion 523n, at least that's what it says on there. I did mention not knowing anything, right?

EDIT: Also. I keep reading stuff about a BIOS? Does anyone know how one might access that?

Edited by Gabb, 15 July 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#6 Gabb

Gabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

it sounds like it might be a hardware error. . .

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311564/

i know that i haven't helped you to solve it, but maybe it will be easier to tell what the cause is. . .

Thanks. I read the microsoft link before. I guess I'm just trying to ignore the possibility that it really is a hardware problem because I don't have the time, money, or energy to fix it, if it is. I'd rather someone tell me it was a virus and that I have to wipe my entire hard drive.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:04 PM

HP computers that didn't come with either restore disks or Windows Installation disks have a hidden restore partition on their hard drives which should give you the choice of either full restore or non-destructive restore.

Physically disconnect all peripherals except the mouse, monitor and keyboard, ie, - the printer, any dive that didn't come with the computer when new, scanner, etc.

Start the computer.
Look for instructions about how to access it when the computer first begins booting - (possible access being to tap the F10 key before Windows begins to start).

Pick either one of the two options.

#8 bodger1946

bodger1946

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

Last month my computer started to behave in the same manner.
I traced the problem to blocked cooling fins on the CPU - causing the CPU to overheat.

#9 esdog

esdog

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:20 AM

Hi,
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a ram problem. I replaced one of them and it solved the problem. There are some programs you can use to check this but for the life of me i cannot think of their names.
Hope this helps.
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, on others I let her sleep in.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

It may well still be an overheating problem or bad ram.

Here are a few ram tests you can download to a floppy or cd, but if the computer keeps shutting down they probably won't work effectively because they all take some time to run. (Thye can be run off the floppy or cd)

RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 July 2006 - 08:08 AM.

#11 Gabb

Gabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

HP computers that didn't come with either restore disks or Windows Installation disks have a hidden restore partition on their hard drives which should give you the choice of either full restore or non-destructive restore.

Physically disconnect all peripherals except the mouse, monitor and keyboard, ie, - the printer, any dive that didn't come with the computer when new, scanner, etc.

Start the computer.
Look for instructions about how to access it when the computer first begins booting - (possible access being to tap the F10 key before Windows begins to start).

Pick either one of the two options.

I love you. You really saved my ass. If we were not communicating over the Internet I would totally suggest we hug.

My only problem now is figuring out how to re-establish my Internet connection and install all the crap I had back onto my computer before Saturday.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

Do you have broadband or dialup?

#13 Gabb

Gabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

Do you have broadband or dialup?

Broadband.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:50 PM

Shutdown your computer.
Disconnect the modem from the wall and the power supply.
If you have a router do the same to it - disconnect it from the modem and the computers and power it off.(pull the plug)

Starting with the modem, reconnect it to the cable and to the router, reconnect the router to the computer, power them on starting with the modem, then the router, then the computer. Boot the computer and see if your connection works.

#15 Gabb

Gabb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:02 PM

Shutdown your computer.
Disconnect the modem from the wall and the power supply.
If you have a router do the same to it - disconnect it from the modem and the computers and power it off.(pull the plug)

Starting with the modem, reconnect it to the cable and to the router, reconnect the router to the computer, power them on starting with the modem, then the router, then the computer. Boot the computer and see if your connection works.

I have a linksys router with the computer I'm on now and a corresponding linksys adapter to the computer I recently restored. This comp. is still hooked up to the Internet, obviously, as I am able to access this forum. I had to re-intall all the software and hardware on the other comp. and it is telling me I have a "Very Good" signal, but won't let me access the Internet. I tried restarting both computers. Disconnecting everything and reconnecting as you suggested. I even uninstalled and re-intalled the software. Nothing seems to be working, unfortunately. I'm not sure if there's anything I need to do to this computer to make it work on the other one, but I'm leery of just going in and messing with this connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users