Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft accused of adding spy features to Windows 7, 8

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

Windows' network activity continues to be scrutinized amid privacy concerns. Windows 10 was first put under the microscope with both new and old features causing concern. With its Cortana digital personal assistant, Windows 10 represents a new breed of operating system that incorporates extensive online services as an integral part of the platform. But its older predecessors haven't escaped attention, and questions are now being asked of Windows 7 and 8's online connectivity.

Windows 8 included many of the same online features as are now raising hackles around the Internet. While it had no Cortana, it nonetheless integrated Web and local search, supported logging in and syncing settings with Microsoft Account, included online storage of encryption keys, and so on and so forth. While a few privacy advocates expressed concern at these features when the operating system was first released, the response was far more muted than the one we see today about Windows 10. But a new addition has led to accusations that Windows 8 now mimics one of Windows 10's more problematic features: it reports information to Microsoft even when told not to.

Back in April, Microsoft released a non-security update for both Windows 7 and 8. This update, 3022345, created a new Windows service called the Diagnostics Tracking service. Microsoft describes this service as doing two things. First, it increase the amount of diagnostic data that the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) can collect in order to better diagnose problems. Second, it collects data for third party applications that use the Application Insights service. Application Insights is a preview that allows app developers to track performance issues, crashes, and other problems of their applications. The Diagnostics Tracking service collects this data and

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/microsoft-accused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

And you pay for this operating system to spy on you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:47 PM

Accused by who- Ars Technica, or someone else?

#3 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:49 PM

Noes,not 7 too.

Well,if we don't install that update its fine :)

I can see how Microsoft is trying to spy on everyone.And for that purpose growing Data Center shows that.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

How to disable the Diagnostics Tracking Service in Windows
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:33 PM

Quite useful, thanks. :thumbup2:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

You're welcome.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

The Diagnostics Tracking service collects diagnostics about functional issues on Windows systems that participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). CEIP reports do not contain contact information, such as your name, address, or telephone number. This means CEIP will not ask you to participate in surveys or to read junk email, and you will not be contacted in any other way.

A lot of users don't participate in the CEIP, so there's nothing to worry about if you ask me. And you can easily disable it.

Edit: The only issue I have with this update is this.

This update contains the following files that are occasionally updated by the Diagnostic Tracking Service:
telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
utc.app.json
The two files are marked as static files in the update. When an advanced user runs the System File Checker Tool (sfc.exe), the files are unintentionally flagged as corrupted. There is no impact or actual corruption on a device running this update, and a later service update will resolve this issue.

Edited by Aura, 01 September 2015 - 08:37 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

KB3022345, went on my personal blacklist the minute I saw it. Glad to say it's on neither of my machines. Still, I'd better look into making sure the rest of the CEIP is disabled as well.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

Disable it for every Microsoft products you have then: Windows, Office, SQL Server, etc.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

This feature is really no big deal and the service is easily disabled.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

Screenshotted and bookmarked that post. Get ready to see it being posted all over the Windows 10 section. Hopefully it'll reassure a few users :P

unite_blue.png

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

Yes but only if people know about it.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

If people are able to Google and read a KB article in English, they should be able to understand what all this is about.

Edited by Aura, 03 September 2015 - 08:46 PM.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users