Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

I just noticed something in Disk Management screen today - it says most of the partitions on my System drive are empty (Recovery,EFI, and the other one Win 8.1 makes - maybe for 'System Refresh' image, but I'm not sure). DiskManagement.png?dl=0

So is this normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

That is pretty weird. When was the last time you did a fresh install of Windows 8?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

A few months ago I re-installed when my attempt to dual-boot Win 10 tech preview and 8.1 went sideways. I was only able to boot 10, and wasn't pleased with it (8.1 performed much better).

I also took the opportunity to change to GPT drive, UEFI boot. Prior to that I was MBR drive, Legacy boot.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

I don't have experience with running Windows on a GPT drive, so I don't think I can help you further.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

This is normal yu gnomi. I don't know what causes this, but many times I've seen that happen, and in the end, the partitions are actually filled with data. One way to see that is to mount the drive (assign it a letter) and go inside it, then you'll see it's content.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Ok, thanks.

Since other folders Windows creates - like System Image backup folders - also appear empty, until you actually access them, I thought that might be the case. I just wanted some confirmation.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:39 PM

It looks normal to me I just looked at mine after I saw this post and mine looks a lot like that too.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:19 AM

Same here:
q5s8NjS.png
However, it wouldn't make sense if these partitions were empty, since one of them is the EFI partition and I couldn't boot without it.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users