Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make a printer seen on WIFI

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robs2014

Robs2014

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

I have a Cisco Switch RV016 and a Linksys "Cisco" router E2500, with 8 pc's running Windows 7, and a few wireless only laptops no lan port connection on them. There is also one main large printer connected to the Cisco switch for LAN users "no built in wifi". The laptops can get online via the wifi on linksys. Two different subs "Cisco 1.xxx and Linksys 2.xxx".

So the wireless users wanted to be able to see the main printer to print to it, also from their cell phones. I had to get both on the the same subs 1.xxx  So I change the connection type to a bridge on the Wireless Linksys router E2500, and connected the main printer to it. Left the connection from Cisco to the WAN port to give wifi. After doing this the wifi users could get online fine, and could see the main printer and print just fine. Issue found was the Lan users could not see or connect to the main printer anymore. So I connected another straight through cable from a port on the Cisco to a port on the Linksys wireless router. When I did this the lan users could see the main printer, but everything on the network started to drag and go very very slow, like internet connection and email. After about 30 minutes I disconnected the cable "Cisco port to Links port" and everything was fast and working good for Lan and wifi users. But after a few days of working fine the Lan users stopped being able to see or print to the main printer. Any ideas on what is going on, or how to fix this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

For that small of an office, why are there 2 subnets? What is providing the WAN connection? Bridging the Linksys got rid of the linksys subnet yes?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Robs2014

Robs2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

Only one subnet now. 192.168.1.xxx

The WAN connection into the Cisco Switch is from a Comcast Modem.

The Wifi Router gets WAN from a port on the Cisco into it's WAN port.

The Wifi router has a static IP set on it, and the IP is also reserved on the Cisco switch

Update: Today no one could print still on LAN so I reconnected the one cable from another port on the Cisco switch to a port on the Linksys router and they could print again, also all the print jobs they sent that never printer started to print "like the were in the que waiting". When the cable was pluged in though everything for WAN slowed way down and connections dropped and reconnected to the internet on the pc's several times. So I disconnected the cable again and speed was faster again "back to normal".

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

So you have 2 cables running from the Cisco to the Linksys? What happens if you leave the new wire plugged but unplug the one going to the Linksys's WAN port? I'm fairly sure with both lines that is causing a loop, which would bring the network to a grinding halt.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users