Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to move my Users/App folder?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TheEclipse

TheEclipse

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

I have 2 partitions in my PC. One is an SSD one is an HDD.

It seems that Windows 10 put my users folder by default  onto the SSD. I'd much rather it be on the HDD. Is it possible to move? My SSD isn't very large.

Also, my user folder has a ridiculous name on it. It was cool when I was in high school when I first made my MSN account but it is a blight on my system. Can I change the name? lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

Hi TheEclipse :)

It's possible to relocate your userprofile folder to another partition. I suggest you to create a System Restore point or having a back-up solution first in case it goes South.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-users-folder-move-location-windows-10-a.html

It's also possible to rename your userprofile folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147545-user-profile-folder-change-user-account-folder-name.html

This guide is for Windows 7 but it should apply under Windows 10 as well. Once again, be careful when following this procedure.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

The users folder is used to create profile for each user of the machine. It stores specifics to the users account like favorites that appear in IE, files you've downloaded and documents. Here at my work we have people that get corrupted profiles and they have to be recreated and then have the folders with specific to them copied to the new profile. Each time a a new user logs the account is added to the user folder. The OS is expecting it in a specific location and your much safer leaving it where the OS wants it.  If you are worried about space you can leave you profile folder alone and save you downloads and docs to the HD (those are the files that take up the most space). The favorites folder isn't big at all. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

Personally, what I do is that I redirect all my "big" userprofile folders to another HDD. I have a folder called D:\Users\Aura and in there I have Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads and Desktop that are all redirected from C:\Users\Aura. Much easier.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 TheEclipse

TheEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

Well, I got the 120 GB SSD last month, and that's for my OS only. I'd like to keep it as "clean" as possible and keep all of my data on 2 other partitions which I have installed (one for installs one for backup). The SSD Is only using 34 GB right now, but I'm concerned because I've only had it for a month now and it started with 27. I haven't installed anything large on it, only certain small programs such as my internet browser... Perhaps I'm being too nit picky, but it seems as is every time I check there is another GB of data added to the partition just through general use of my computer. 

Perhaps I'm being too nit picky. I've redirected my "big" user profile folders already, so that's done... But the folder that's using the most data is the apps data stuff. Certain games and things I think are installed there by deault. 

Previous experiences on Windows 7 has shown to me never to move that folder. I thought it was really funny when I locked myself out of my entire computer, but it's not something I want to have happen again.

When I got home, I will try those links you've suggest. Thanks, Aura!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

Programs shouldn't install themself in AppData. If they do, it's because the developpers don't understand the purpose of the AppData folder. After that, they wonder why their executables are targetted by Antivirus and Antimalware. Sigh. What folders in AppData takes the most space?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

This is just a side note induced by the reference to 'back up' and my known paranoia about data security.

and keep all of my data on 2 other partitions

It is not entirely clear from the context of the posts above if these two partitions are on the same hard drive or not. If they are on the same drive then it cannot be considered a back up. ANY drive can fail and if it does then all the data on it, regardless of the partition, is likely to be lost. A back up worthy of the name must be on some form of separate storage.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 TheEclipse

TheEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:12 AM

I'm sorry that it's been a while since I posted, I haven't been home.

I went through the tutorial to change the location of my users folder.

Unfortunately, now the computer boots up and gets stuck at a screen with the windows logo and a spinning loading bar.

Please help :(

#9 TheEclipse

TheEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:19 AM

And now it appears to be rebooting itself over and over again

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:25 AM

Did you try to press F8 to get in the Advanced Boot Menu, and from there launch the "Repair your computer" option, and restore to a previous Restore Point?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 TheEclipse

TheEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

F8 isn't working. I'm not sure if I was clear in my post, but my computer is not starting up properly.

When I turn it on, it goes through bios, then it shows me the windows logo and then it restarts. It does not get to the point where I can log in.

#12 TheEclipse

TheEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

I think what I want to do is to re-install my OS. I've only had it installed for a month, and I have 3, physically separate hard drives. 1 SSD for the OS, and 2 HDD's - 1 for my installed programs, one for back up. If I re-install my OS, I will lose nothing, I'll just have to re-install my programs which is a bit of a PITA but whatever... That's why I set it up like this anyway.

At least like this, I can change the location of my users folder using audit mode. This sounds a lot simpler and all I have currently installed are some games and my anti virus stuff.

The question is, how can I re install windows 10? I don't have a CD and I can't get far enough into start up to log into my system before it reboots itself.

I think I can grab it from a website and throw it on a data stick, and then boot from the stick? Im unsure, I've never done it before.

Edited by TheEclipse, 11 September 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#13 DagonCrows

DagonCrows

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

Yes, you can do that. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Sorry for the delay.

I think I can grab it from a website and throw it on a data stick, and then boot from the stick? Im unsure, I've never done it before.

Yes, but it might not be easy as you thought. First of all, do you have UEFI enabled in your BIOS, on top of Secure Boot? Also, is your hard drive MBR or GPT partitionned?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 TheEclipse

TheEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:55 AM

I have no idea.

I think maybe I'll just take it in somewhere to get it fixed I guess. I'll just leave the app data on the sdd because apparently, it cannot be moved at all without causing a lot of unnecessary greif.

As it stands, at the moment my PC is entire unusable, and I can't do anything at all with it except for check my BIOS. I'm only able to post on these forums with my smart phone. :(

So I think at this time, it's best to have a professional look at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users