Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need advice on a Desktop Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Motoyasu

Motoyasu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

Just got a new desktop awhile ago, It's quite quick but I'd it to go faster, as most of the games I want to play need a better CPU and Graphics card.
This is where I'm stuck, I'm not to good with computers or upgrading them. I don't know wether I should get a new motherboard or just slap on the new parts. Can I get some advice on what to do?

Here's What I currently have:

Intel Xenon 2.66 Ghz, CPU 5430 8 Cores (Dual Quad Core) 64bit CPU
8Gb Ram with Cooler
1Tb hard drive (2 x 500Gb HDD raid 0)
Radeon R7 260X 1Gig Gddr5 Ram
Hewlett-Packard 0A9Ch
Windows 8.1

What I want to upgrade to:
AMD GPU R9 290
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHZ

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

You will need a new MB, also a larger PSU.  Frankly if you have a few $$ extra go for an Intel 'K' chip, they are better at gaming and can be over clocked.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Motoyasu

Motoyasu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:48 AM

What motherboard do you suggest that the parts can fit on to? Also isn't that Processor slower Ghz wise then the one above?
I don't know about overclocking, I heard it ruins your desktop. Thanks for the help :D

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

You don't need an Intel "K" series CPU to get good performance with gaming.  You can do quite well with the non-K variants or even an FX-8300 series CPU.  That CPU, the Xeon 5430, came out in 2007, so most processors on the market now will do better.  No matter what you get, you will need to purchase a new motherboard and new Windows license in addition to a new CPU, so you're looking at spending quite a bit of money on this.

OldPhil is correct in that you will need a new PSU.  Have you considered changing the GPU from an R9 290 to a GTX 970 or even the GTX 980?  Both perform better, consume less power, and aren't as loud as the R9 290.

3939.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:08 AM

You will need pretty much new everything I should think.  Is this a HP dual processor workstation?

If so they use ECC FB-DIMM's (DDR2) and this would not be usable on an AMD FX or current Core series motherboard.

The case may or may not accept standard ATX motherboards (something to check).  Workstation boards are generally larger.

Edited by jonuk76, 01 September 2015 - 07:13 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

DJBPace07 is right you do not need an Intel K for decent gaming, but for high end Intel have proven better.  The AMD's do very well plus they are less expensive.  But they run quite hot and require and require more power in some instances they run near three times hotter.  What you save on chip price must go to a better CPU cooler, case fans are also a must.  A better GPU is more important for most games, but some games are more processor dependant, the vast majority of games only use 4 cores, time needs to be taken looking at bench marks and budget!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:54 AM

When looking at benchmarks, look at real world performance in software you actually use, not synthetic scores.  Real world metrics will provide a more complete idea as to how something will perform doing your chosen task.  Regardless, in gaming, the GPU is where most of your resources should be going.

I'm using an FX-8350 with a GTX 980 and it runs quite nicely.  At idle, the CPU temperature is about 35C, at load, it is in the upper 50's.  Compared with Intel, this is hot.  AMD's stock coolers aren't that great with the FX parts, so I use an aftermarket air cooler and, since I don't like noise, I have Cool & Quiet enabled.  If I really want to ramp up the heat, which is useful in the winter, I can overclock the thing. 

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users