Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Issue with HP Envy DV7-7230us

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ACCER

ACCER

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

I have two issues, though they might be related.

The most annoying one are the vertical pinstripes. I will be going along, just fine and all of a sudden I'll get a string of TDR pop-ups and then the screen will just become a pinstripe mess. The entire screen is full, and you can't see anything else. If I wait it will often reboot itself. This only happens when I'm in Windows. It never happens on the lock screen or before, ONLY in Windows. I have verified that it happens on both the laptop screen and an external monitor. It doesn't happen all the time....sometimes it behaves for days. This is a photo of it. Then entire screen is like this.

Attached File  computerscreen.jpg   61.07KB   1 downloads

The other problem is that the laptop will not boot from the battery and if I unplug it from the power supply it will power off in about 5 seconds. The battery indicator says it's full. I don't know if this could be related to the graphics problem or not but they started at the same time.

I've wandered around the net looking for solutions and have tried what seems to be everything to fix the problem with the TDR....but nothing works.

Do any of you have an idea what is causing it and how to fix it?

The laptop is the HP Envy Dv7-7230us. It came with Windows 8, upgraded to 8.1 and just a few days ago to 10. It's happened in all of them...

• Next Gen AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor
  • 6GB Memory 750GB HDD
  • AMD Radeon HD 7640G
  • Windows 8
  • DVD Super Multi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking to see if the graphics problem persists there.

How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 or 8.1

Open the Search charm and type in msconfig.

When System Configuration opens click or tap on the Boot tab.

Under Boot options click or tap on Safe boot, then click or tap on Apply, then OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Please note.  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check in Safe boot.

The computer may be telling you that the battery is fully charged, but from what you are posting it sounds like it's time to replace the battery.  It is not holding a charge.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ACCER

ACCER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

Tried that. Not only were there no graphics issues but it booted from just the battery. So it's just that it needs a new battery????

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

Safe Mode uses a different graphics driver.  Because the problem didn't persist in Safe Mode it looks like you have a problem with the AMD/ATI Radeon driver.  I will find the correct driver for you and provide a link to download it.  

In order to find out which version you have installed please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 01 September 2015 - 11:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ACCER

ACCER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gCNIBMXgMgffOeDJ4ZEv12L

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

You can download your driver here.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

I noticed that your CPU temperature is way too high, 143C.  Speccy has produced figures in the past which just couldn't be right, and I believe this is the case here since your GPU temperature is 87C.  But just to be sure, please download and install Open Hardware Monitor.

Take a screenshot of the results and post it in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Edited by dc3, 01 September 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#8 ACCER

ACCER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

I downloaded and installed the driver. I left a video running while I was running errands. I came back and it was still playing normally so I switched to Netflix....which would typically drive it insane. Nothing, everything ran fine. I unplugged it....10 seconds later I had brown pinstripes and a reboot.

here is the screenshot you asked for.

Attached File  screenshot.jpg   58.69KB   0 downloads

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

I unplugged it....10 seconds later I had brown pinstripes and a reboot.

Please explain what you unplugged.

Did you uninstall the old driver prior to installing the new driver?

Edit:  Thank you for posting the screenshot.  This substantiates the fact that the speccy temp for the CPU was way off.  It is running a little hot, but not anywhere as high as the speccy was indicating.  You may want to purchase a canned duster and blow out the insides through the side and bottom vents.

Edited by dc3, 02 September 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#10 ACCER

ACCER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

No, I just installed the new driver. I unplugged the laptop from the AC power supply. So far there have been no graphics issues at all.

Edited to add: I think the Catalyst Command Center uninstalls the old drivers before installing the new ones.

Edited by ACCER, 02 September 2015 - 05:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users