Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Eviction of the Win 10 Update monster ?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

Has anyone figured out how to evict the Windows Update monster from a computer running Windows 10 ?

I kind of like Windows 10 .... but "Update Monster 10" has to go.  On my computer it has completely monopolized my internet connection which only result in downloads that fail to install over ... and over ... and over ... and then give errors.  Wheeeee, so much fun!

I have tried the DISM stuff and the SFC stuff which it appears many of you here have also tried.

(Please, spare me the party line of "Windows new automatic update system is light years beyond previous versions."   I would agree with you that it is better.  That does not change the fact that it doesn't work.)

I would prefer to stay with Windows 10 if someone can solve this problem. 

Any fixes?  Or is it Windows 7 for me?

Thanks for your help.

FP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

You cant shut off automatic updates in windows 10 unless you have the pro version

#3 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:22 PM

Really Norseman?

No one has figured out a script, a registry key change, a pirouette-somersault combination?

I fully believe there is a geek somewhere who is able to save us!  

#4 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

Well its still fairly new

The way I understand it there isnt a way to shut it off. Thats one of the criticisms of Windows 10

There are programs to shut off all the spyware that comes with 10 but I havent seen anything that shuts off Auto updates

#5 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

Give it time FP, someone will come up with something eventually.

#6 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

I was counting on Norseman to chop it out with that ax he's lugging around.  lol

I am sure you are right, someone eventually will.  Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft was that someone?

I need my computer back before that occurs though.

Any recommendation on how to revert back?  The advertised "Yes it will be easy to go back" shtick isn't working. 

Yes, I was that stupid to believe it might work.

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

The only reliable way to go back to 7, is to see if you have a factory reset partition on your machine, which is still Win7, or better.. did you CLONE your Win7 before you 'updated' to Win10?  For only a clone made just prior to update will get you back to the way you were.  The so-called windows.old file Win10 makes is only good for about five minutes afterwards.  For then an update to Win10 comes along, and your windows.old file won't work anymore.  For Win8.1 it's a tad better, but most people updating from Win7 can't go back.

As for Win10, only Enterprise can delay updates for a very long time.  Else, you cannot select among them, and you cannot shut them off.  You can set the machine on notify, so it won't download or install, but for how long a mere notify will work, I don't know.  Pro does NOT get you out of the updates.  People saying Pro will get you out of updates, are ignorant of how it works.  Updates are forced for everyone, but only Enterprise can delay (not forever and not all updates) and have some choice.

So I just keep the Win10 offline.  Can't download when it's not connected to the internet.  I don't even use it anymore.

The same gimmick is being tried with Windows 7, but so far it can't work until and unless some other patches precede, which thankfully violate the Windows 7 EULA so you'd have to agree to forced updates. I shut all mine OFF: that makes them MANUAL, so Windows never ever sends me anything.  I have to go ask for it.  That's what I'm telling all my clients to do, too.

So manually, once a month or so, I go check for updates and then SELECT which ones I want.  Generally, most of them are not at all related to anything I need, and I hide them.  Security updates tend to be valid, but even then read the KB article carefully.  My trust in MSFT's truthfulness is now nearing zero.

Edited by brainout, 31 August 2015 - 06:52 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

There's a few ways to go about it. You can test them out if you wish.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

Turn on metered connection. Now, updates will only be installed when you want it to.

Next, use this tool to hide the updates (until one of the update replace them) (will not work on cumulative updates as they will have previous things too)

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#10 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

brainout,

Did you check out Aura's links.  How could have I been so dumb?  I use to shut off that service all the time in the past.  Completely forgot about that setting.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

Let me know if it works out for you Fluffy.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

Aura!  You da man.  That is a fabulous solution.  So simple.

I changed it.  I am going to restart the machine and see how it does.

#13 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

Oh goodie ... oh goooodie, gooodie, Goodie-gum drops!!!!

I restarted, the screen stayed black for a while but did eventually come up with the Lock screen.

When I logged in the desktop was slow.  When it did appear I watched a blue circle spin.

Now when I go to Windows Update and click the look for updates I get Error 0x80070422.

I'm good with that.

But my Start button isn't working along with several other issues.  These did exist before disabling the Update though.  So reverting to Windows 7 would have ... well I assume it would have fixed other issues that are also not working in Windows 10.

The Update Monster was the deal breaker.

From your experience, Aura, would I be better off reverting to Windows 7 and waiting for Windows 10 to mature, or try to get Windows 10 working?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

It's really up to you to be honest. Personally I would stay with Windows 10 to get familiarized with the OS (but that's me and because I'm a tech I kind of need to do that) but if you don't want to deal with all the bugs that aren't yet fixed and wait until an actual "Service Release" gets released, I would go back to Windows 7. It's your choice.

unite_blue.png

#15 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

The new OS seems pretty simple.   So far, it has been easy to find what I want.

My issues are the start menu and the calendar quit working.

Some of the buttons in the Control Panel don't work.

When I ran SFC via tweaking, it showed 3, 287 errors that SFC can not fix.

When I get into Safe Mode to try to fix any of this, it freezes.

It freezes a lot, even when not in Safe Mode.  The only way out of the

freeze has been to pull the power cord out.

Are these "bugs" or do I just have a bad install?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users