Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Install Dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 naeseth

naeseth

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

Ok, I just bought a new custom computer (see specs below) and I am trying to install the DVD burner from my old computer (stats below). When I install the DVD burner and turn on the computer, it freezes before the desktop comes up. ANy ideas?

Old Computer: Emachines T4511, 2.53 ghz, 768 mb ram, p4, DVD +RW, CD-ROM

New Computer: P4 3.0ghz, 2 gb ram, Dual layer DVD burner, Radeon X800 Pro,

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

How are you installing it? Are you plugging the drive into a ribbon cable, and there is already a device plugged into the end of the cable with the other end plugged into the motherboard? If so, then you must be plugging your device into the middle connector, in which case you need to change the little jumper on the back of the device to the slave position.

The device that plugs into the end of the ribbon cable is the master, and the middle connector is the slave but the jumpers must be set accordingly.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 naeseth

naeseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

This particular DVD burner that im trying to install was a slave in the old computer so the setting is already on 'slave'

Let me go a little more in detail about the problem. When it is connected and i turn on the pc, the bios loads, then the windows loading screen comes up and freezes up halfway during loading.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:59 AM

And just to take this a step further, if you disconnect the newly installed drive, does it start all the way then?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 naeseth

naeseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:35 AM

yes, when i disconnect the new drive windows does start normally.

#6 Main Hoon Don

Main Hoon Don

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

Please Make the Jumpers in The HDD and DVDRW to be Cable Select and See what Happens , attach the DVDRW at Port 1 on the ribbon cable , Also Download the Firmware update and install the firmware for your dvd burner

Also Download the utility below
Utility to set Secondary IDE controller CD devices to DMA mode
http://ftp.us.dell.com/fixes/PIOtoDMA.exe

Edited by Main Hoon Don, 16 July 2006 - 12:11 PM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:37 AM

Try disconnecting all other IDE devices except for the primary master HDD on channel 1 and the DVD drive as master on channel 2 (with jumpers set appropriately) and then boot up. If it worked, install the DVD drive and then reconnect the remaining drive one at a time (booting up between each connection).

Question:

Is the BIOS detecting the drive correctly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users