Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a desktop, budget is ~ 1500$

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BreannaL

BreannaL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:46 PM

I would really appreciate recommendations, suggestions about a new desktop I plan to purchase. We recently purchased a 21" iMac. I use it but I primarily use Windows computers.

Laptop or Desktop?

Destop. I don't want an all-in-one.

My budget for the new computer is:

$1500 CAD. If this was the cost without the monitor then I could probably manage 300-400$ for a monitor.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

I am a part-time freelance Front End Developer and also run my own business. I also do a lot of browsing and downloading and some video editing.

I need wifi capability. I don't want to buy an additional device to get wifi.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

I don't use a lot of different software, under 15 on a regular basis. But, I do use Photoshop a lot. Also, I use Word. I also use Firefox, the ram hog. I test on Chrome and other browsers and would love to be able to have them open at the same time.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

I don't play games.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Yes. I like to go from one to the other and need to be able to run Firefox (a known RAM hog) and Photoshop as well as other programs all at the same time.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Yes, I store both as well as videos.

Will you be overclocking?

No.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Canada.

How many monitors are you planning to use?

One.

Do you need peripherals? OS?

I need a large monitor, at least 1080p and at least 24 inches. I do a lot of typing and will sometimes work 6-7 hours straight on my laptop and it strains my eyes especially at night so I need a monitor to mitigate that so I need a matte screen that displays text well. If it had decent built-in speakers (rare) that would be great. If not, I'd appreciate some recs for affordable speakers that aren't expensive.

It needs to run Windows but I do not want Windows 8 but upgrades are free. I actually think I'd rather have Windows 7 and then buy Windows 10 Pro.

I also need it to have a good dvd burner as I burn dvds weekly.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I've never had a good computer running Windows, only satisfactory. Yes, I have an iMac and it's great but I'm very accustomed to the applications I use. I currently have two laptops with such embarassingly poor specs, I won't even post them. Both have been causing me big problems the last few weeks. They're old by any measure.

I don't want to build my own. I'm not looking for the best but something very good that I can buy very soon.

I want a fast computer. I need a lot of storage space 1TB at least, a minimum of 8GB of RAM, 12GB would be better. The processor needs to be powerful, a quad core. I think an Intel i5 should be fine.

Aesthetics isn't a driving factor. I don't want an all-in-one. I've done some searching and have discovered some gaming desktops that would fit my needs. I'm not terribly fond of their design but it's not terribly important.

It's important that during heavy use, the fans don't make too much noise. I don't read about fan noise in reviews too much but I do see it in complaints sometimes.

Desktop under consideration

Asus M32AD-US032S Desktop Computer
Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz
16GB DDR3
2TB HDD
DVD-RW
nVidia GT740 Graphics
Windows 8.1

Asus System M32AD-US026S Desktop Computer
Intel Core i5-4460
8GB
2TB HDD
DVD-RW
Windows 8.1

Monitors I'm considering

ASUS MX259H Black 25"

5ms (GTG), Dual HDMI Widescreen

LED Backlight

LCD Monitor

IPS Panel

Eye Care Technology

250 cd/m2 80,000,000:1

Built-In Speakers

BenQ GW2765HT Black 27"

4ms WQHD HDMI Widescreen

LED Backlight LCD Monitor

IPS 350 cd/m2 DCR 20,000,000:1 (1000:1)

Built-in Speakers

Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black 24"

8ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD IPS Panel Monitor

Pivot, Swivel & Height Adjustable

LED Backlight

Widescreen LCD Monitor

300 cd/m2 DC 2,000,000:1 (1000:1)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

I recommend the computer I have  HP Envy 700-414. I got mine in 2014 from best buy and its still being sold.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-desktop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-gray/8584021.p?id=1219350937522&skuId=8584021

Edited by Atomic77, 01 September 2015 - 10:55 PM.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 BreannaL

BreannaL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the rec. I wouldn't buy anything from Best Buy.

But, could you tell me what you like about it specifically.

#4 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

Well BreannaL Its a fast computer has a lot of hardrive space does everything I want it to do. and HP is a good brand.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

If I may, " Front End Developer" for what exactly? That's a pretty broad description. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 BreannaL

BreannaL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:21 PM

I design websites. I deal with html, css, jquery, javascript and the like. As for my business, half of the time, I'm on my computer which includes responding to a lot of emails.

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

Ohhhh that would explain the high end monitor.

Question about the monitors. Out of the three you picked out-the ASUS is 1920x1080 (1080p), the dell is 1920x1200, and the BenQ is 2560x1440 (1440p). 

What resolution do you want for your work?

1080P- Pretty much the highest common resolution, and most web designers either design around that as the max resolution to target for their webpage scaling techniques. With 1366x768 being the min. 

1920x1200- Can fit two whole documents next to each other on one screen at once is heavily used in office environments for this very reason,

2560x1140 (1440P)- Mainly used in 1080p video production. As you can preview the entire video, displayed at its proper resolution, while still being able to access the editing controls. Well that and gaming on occasion. 1140p also is used for photo editing as higher reolution=show more detail on screen at once. However most people have moved onto 4k screens for photo editing now. 

I'd personally recommend the Dell if it doesn't matter. Then after it arrived I'd get someone who can properly adjust the screen to be as color accurate as it can be if you can't do it yourself. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#8 BreannaL

BreannaL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

That's exactly it, I like the idea of being able to have two windows from either the same program or two different programs open side-by-side since like a lot of people, I go back-and-forth between documents and programs.

Do you own the Dell SEANIA?

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

I own a Dell, but not just any Dell. I own that exact dell monitor. Its stand has all the adjustment options. Meaning yes it can turn vertically for 1200x1920. Lets you view a entire webpage all at once- supper helpful for web development, excel, and viewing long lists of code at once. 

It's not that it can do two windows open really well (but it is slightly better then 1080p at that), it's that you can have two full word document pages open at once next to each other. If you want real multi-window multitasking, you need two monitors. That or some people I know like to use a ultra wide monitor instead of two separate ones. The 1080 variants run at  2560 x 1080- so not exactly two monitors wide, but it's close enough. As a example this is a high end LG one. Pricing on them generally starts at 350$ and works up to 700$ for the 1080 models. Not to even mention the 1440 or 2160 ("4k") variants. 

I personally use three 1920x1200 screens. Only my center one is the Dell though. The other two are really old Sceptre "gaming" monitors from Vista years. They're marketed as "gaming" because of their 2ms response time. The sacrifices made to get them to that low of a response time means their color accuracy is terrible (though they make newer ones that are accurate). Response time, by the way, would be useless for what you do. 

#10 BreannaL

BreannaL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

My iMac is 21.5 and since it's going to be bigger than that and I do tend to use it with two programs side-by-side on it (although the windows are aren't as wide as I'd like), I think the Dell should be fine.

What do you think of the text-rendering? I realize different browsers can garner different results but would you say it's very easy on the eyes?

Thanks for the info.

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

On the Dell you mean? Really sharp, love it. Leaps and bounds above what my two Sceptres do. A good selling point of it is the vast array of menu options it has, and it could be adjusted to be a whole lot better then what I have it set to. Dell is the king of professional office work monitors, and it shows in every aspect of it. 

#12 BreannaL

BreannaL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

That sounds great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users