Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP WiFi Direct, Officejet 5740 printer - connect automatically?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_7

Mike_7

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

New Officejet 5740 printer, couple year old Pavilion 500-098 computer, Windows 10. I do not have WiFi on this computer, Internet access is by a cable modem connected to the computer with an Ethernet cable. I didn't want to connect the printer with a USB cable, so connected the printer using it's WiFi Direct.

Connected the printer to the computer, installed software and drivers, everything went well, everything works. When the printer is on, it shows up when I click on the system tray network icon, and is set to automatically connect. I thought that meant that when I tried to print something, my computer would automatically connect to the printer, and it would print. But this doesn't happen. I need to click on the network icon, click on the printer, then click on "Connect". I don't have to do this every time I want to print something, just the first time I want to print something after either the printer or computer has been turned off and back on. A minor annoyance, not a big thing. I'm just wondering if there's a setting somewhere that I have to turn on (or off)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

I have an HP AIO printer but I use it wirelessly.

For your model check out

HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One series http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426664

Check out pages 81 and further on

I do not think that your minor annoyance should be happening. Since the printer is new register your product 

If necessary contact HP by clicking on contact support

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-5700-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6617253/model/6617254/manuals

#3 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

I have an HP AIO printer but I use it wirelessly.

For your model check out

HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One series http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426664

Check out pages 81 and further on

I do not think that your minor annoyance should be happening. Since the printer is new register your product 

If necessary contact HP by clicking on contact support

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-5700-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6617253/model/6617254/manuals

Registering the printer was one of the first things I did after getting it set up.

I read the manual before setting up the printer (okay, not the whole manual, but the part about connecting it with WiFi Direct). I did what it says in the manual concerning WiFi Direct, and everything worked perfectly (except for that "minor annoyance").

When I first set up the printer I thought I had done something wrong, but couldn't figure out what, so I posted on HP's networks / wireless support forum asking about this. The only reply I got was from an HP support agent. In the reply were links to some WiFi Direct guides, with hopes that I'd find my answer in one of them... I'd already read those guides, no answer there.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

I do not have WiFi on this computer

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

When the printer is on, it shows up when I click on the system tray network icon, and is set to automatically connect. I thought that meant that when I tried to print something, my computer would automatically connect to the printer, and it would print. But this doesn't happen.

When the printer is on and connected by USB, the printer would be ready to print unless the light is blinking which means it is still loading/busy. Wifi direct as stated from the link needs a wireless capable device or in some instances a bluetooth to be able to use these feature.

Tekken

#5 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

I do not have WiFi on this computer

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

When the printer is on, it shows up when I click on the system tray network icon, and is set to automatically connect. I thought that meant that when I tried to print something, my computer would automatically connect to the printer, and it would print. But this doesn't happen.

When the printer is on and connected by USB, the printer would be ready to print unless the light is blinking which means it is still loading/busy. Wifi direct as stated from the link needs a wireless capable device or in some instances a bluetooth to be able to use these feature.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. My computer is a wireless capable device. What I meant when I wrote that I don't have WiFi on my computer, was that I don't have a wireless network here (but I could). I decided that since I could connect the printer using WiFi Direct, I'd do that rather than connect it using a USB cable.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

Thank you for clarifying :) The link below may explain the given situation. Usually, automatically connect is an option when connecting to an access point available.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/printer-setup-help.html

Tekken

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:37 PM

Using an Ethernet connection disables the printer's wireless system.

“I decided that since I could connect the printer using WiFi Direct”

--- How are you able to connect via WiFi Direct?

Have you tried removing whatever WiFi Direct connection is supposed in place and just work with the printer Ethernet connected?

#8 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

Thank you for clarifying :) The link below may explain the given situation. Usually, automatically connect is an option when connecting to an access point available.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/printer-setup-help.html

That describes how to set up your printer on a wireless network. I don't have a wireless network, that's why I used the printer's WiFi Direct to connect the printer to the computer.

#9 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

Using an Ethernet connection disables the printer's wireless system.

“I decided that since I could connect the printer using WiFi Direct”

--- How are you able to connect via WiFi Direct?

Have you tried removing whatever WiFi Direct connection is supposed in place and just work with the printer Ethernet connected?

I'm not using an Ethernet connection to connect the printer to the computer. I can't use an Ethernet connection, because the computer has one Ethernet port, and it's being used by my cable modem.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

On your PC - look in the software for the printer, if there is a connect automatically option. I know you turned it on for the actual wireless connection but perhaps there is a setting in the software you need to click as well.

EDIT - BAH I should have read a bit more. In the Connecting a mobile device - If Wi-Fi Direct mode on the printer is set to Automatic, the mobile device will automatically connect to the printer and print the document. Look for that perhaps.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 01 September 2015 - 09:46 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#11 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

On your PC - look in the software for the printer, if there is a connect automatically option. I know you turned it on for the actual wireless connection but perhaps there is a setting in the software you need to click as well.

EDIT - BAH I should have read a bit more. In the Connecting a mobile device - If Wi-Fi Direct mode on the printer is set to Automatic, the mobile device will automatically connect to the printer and print the document. Look for that perhaps.

It's already set to automatic. If I set it to manual, the printer doesn't show up when I click on the system tray network icon, and I can't print anything.

It's only the first time that I want to print something after the computer or printer has been turned off and back on that I need to click on the network icon, click on the printer, and click on connect. If I don't do that and try to print something, I get a notification that the printer is offline. Any time I want to print something after the first time, it'll print right away, I don't need to go through the network icon stuff again.

Edited by Mike_7, 01 September 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

On page 86 at Click here for online troubleshooting for Wi-Fi Direct, or for more help with setting up Wi-Fi Direct.

EDIT: That's page 86 of http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426664 

The next page includes:

“If you connect to Wi-Fi Direct from your computer, you must reconnect to your home or business network when you are done in order to access the Internet or the rest of your network.”

Edited by cmptrgy, 01 September 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#13 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:51 PM

On page 86 at Click here for online troubleshooting for Wi-Fi Direct, or for more help with setting up Wi-Fi Direct.

EDIT: That's page 86 of http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04426664 

The next page includes:

“If you connect to Wi-Fi Direct from your computer, you must reconnect to your home or business network when you are done in order to access the Internet or the rest of your network.”

That's for someone who has a wireless network but doesn't want to use it to connect their printer, and instead they use WiFi Direct. If they do, then they can't use both at the same time, so no Internet access while using the printer, and while on the Internet, they can't print. That doesn't apply to me, because I don't have a wireless network here. Right now the printer is on, I can print with it right now if I wanted to, and I'm on the Internet (I could print this web page right now if I wanted to).

Thanks for taking the time to try to help, but I think this is just the way it is with WiFi Direct (and if it is, HP should mention it somewhere...). I just thought that maybe there was some simple thing I'd missed.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

Is the cable modem wireless capable?

#15 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

Is the cable modem wireless capable?

No, it's a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users