Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

building/upgrading computer (budget 1200+USD)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hhrom

hhrom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Hello,

first i would like to say, that i am not a native english speaker so sorry for spelling mistakes.

i am from other country than you, so between our shops will be huge diferences, however i would still like to have your opinion on this topic

my budget is about 1 250 USD or 1 110 EUR (counting with there might be some europians).

Maybe i should mention that it's for gaming

Don't care about low noise, i already have really loud CPU + i have clocks all over the room so no problem

Software and external things i have figured out.

My goal is change pretty much everything but if something can be re-used so i can put money into other components, that would be awesome (like DVD-rom, Ram)

currently owned:
Case: Compaq Presario, CQ5114UK
Mother-board: ASUS, M5A 78L-M
Power supply: Corsair, VS650
CPU: AMD, Phenom II X4 965
Grafic card: GeForce, N450GTS-MD512D5
Ram: (2x) Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 Single ranked

HDD: (pojmenování nemá)640GB, sata
DVD-rom: DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive

Screen: BenQ XL2411Z (1920x1080)

Thank you all in advance in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

If you are ok with cannibalizing monitor, DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, speakers and possibly other stuff from your current system, then maybe the following build could work (based around an Intel Skylake I-5 CPU): 

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($87.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1249.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-31 18:23 EDT-0400

edit: changed RAM choice from original build

Edited by yu gnomi, 31 August 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#3 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

With that kind of budget ... maybe an "Alien" machine.  http://www.alienware.com/ look at http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r3/pd?oc=dpcwxy02h&model_id=alienware-x51-r3 .  I built a gaming computer about 15 years ago, and after all the research, purchases, building and mistakes, I would have been better off buying an Alien.  IMO

Edited by RVAH-12, 31 August 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

I forgot to include thermal compound in the above build, which you need to transfer heat efficiently from the CPU cover to the CPU cooler. Arctic Silver is the brand typically recommended- a syringe-full runs about $7.50 and is far more than you need (I read that 2 rice grains worth of compound is sufficient).

I also noticed that the OS I threw into the build is the OEM version of Win 10. You might want to pay the extra $5 or $10 for the Full version, since the OEM versions have restrictions on how you can install them.

#5 hhrom

hhrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

NIce, thanks

but please could i ask you for explanation of your choosing behind some parts, like why Intel better than AMD and so? That would help a lot

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:28 PM

AMD gives more cores for the same price, but Intel CPUs are more powerful per core. I am not sure how useful having more than 4 cores even is. Also, I think AMD is not putting the effort into CPU development that Intel is, but I can't really cite any facts to back that up. I just think that AMD is more interested in competing with Nvidia for the GPU market right now. I think a Skylake CPU will serve you better down the road, than anything AMD has to offer.

Skylake is made for overclocking, so I included a liquid cooling system, even though my own PC just uses air cooling (I can't over-clock my CPU). The motherboard was a compromise between price and features, this one seemed to have the features needed to take advantage of new tech, without being too pricey.

The RAM I picked is supported by that motherboard - when it comes time to buy make sure the specific RAM part # you purchase is supported by the motherboard you purchase (consult the manufacturer's website for that board). Skylake processors can handle RAM frequencys up to 3600 MHZ, but RAM that fast is much more expensive than 2800 and 3000 MHZ, and I am not sure which Motherboards support those RAMs.

The SSD is M2 interface, which is supposed to be noticeably faster than a SATA connected SSD. I have a SATA connected 840 Evo (previous version of that drive), and it is very quick. Your OS should go on the SSD, and your boot time should be quick and general OS functioning should be snappy. The Toshiba HDD is just for bulk storage, and maybe for games. I put games on my HDD, instead of my SSD, and they seem to run fine. They just take longer to start up initially than if they are on SSD. 

The choice of GPU's was fairly arbitrary- I added everything else to the build, and then picked a GPU that was high-end but would bring the total to close to what you stated your budget was. I did little research on GPU's before selecting it, you might want to research that more closely or solicit opinions from the forum here.

I chose the Antec power supply for 2 reasons: it was low cost while providing enough power to cover you even if you need to add another GPU down the road (and who knows what else); and Antec is a decent brand, and I think there PSU's have a decent rep - even though SeaSonic and the higher end Corsair PSU's have a better rep (they are also more expensive).

The choice of case was also fairly arbitrary, I thought that surely a liquid cooling system made by Cooler Master should fit easily into a case made by Cooler Master. I selected one that had high reviews at PCPartpicker. I also picked one that was a mid-tower ATX case, with front-side USB ports.

I should also add that just a few days ago, I got curious about what a Skylake based system would cost and what hardware I should put into one. I did a dummy build at PCPartpicker and bookmarked it. The build I put into post #2 is essentially that build, with some stuff omitted (monitor, keyboard, mouse, DVD drive, speakers).

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

You mentioned you are from another country, are you in the United States now or will you need to purchase from somewhere else?  I ask because not all of those parts are available globally and pricing is different with VAT or other taxes.

3939.png

#8 hhrom

hhrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

I really do thank you guys, finally some real help.

When i asked for explanation you gave me exactly what i wanted to "hear", i have met some people, who just read, that this or that component is good, so they recommended it to me, or just don't like some brands...

I still have a paste i bought about a year ago, to clean up my computer, so i will use that.

As for acquiring parts, i have found them in stores in my country (i will have to order them from 3 different stores :-D)

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

Youtube is your friend. Probably every step of assembling a PC has multiple videos posted, showing you how to do it. I was constantly consulting Youtube when I built my PC

#10 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:13 AM

I forgot to include thermal compound in the above build, which you need to transfer heat efficiently from the CPU cover to the CPU cooler. Arctic Silver is the brand typically recommended- a syringe-full runs about $7.50 and is far more than you need (I read that 2 rice grains worth of compound is sufficient).

I also noticed that the OS I threw into the build is the OEM version of Win 10. You might want to pay the extra $5 or $10 for the Full version, since the OEM versions have restrictions on how you can install them.

Thermal compound comes with the cooler.

#11 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:21 AM

If you are ok with cannibalizing monitor, DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, speakers and possibly other stuff from your current system, then maybe the following build could work (based around an Intel Skylake I-5 CPU): 

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($87.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1249.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-31 18:23 EDT-0400

edit: changed RAM choice from original build

16gb of ram is overkill, save some cash and go with 8gb

750w is overkill. 500w is enough, can recommend EVGA Supernova 550w G2.

GTX 970 < R9 390, Alternatively R9 390X if it fits the budget.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users