Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update laptop to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Godlover

Godlover

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

My dautghter's laptop is about 6 Y/O w/ win XP.  She had several problems and found a site that offered Win 7 download.  The site offered free download and with all the talk of free download for Win 10, she decided to try it..  She downloaded it and it works quite fine, but now is asking for the license.There were no instructions as to how to get the license. 

What is the best route to go for that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Purchase a legal copy of Win 7 from a retailer is the only route available, IMO.

Example .

Do NOT be fooled by any license claiming to be applicable ONLY to refurbished systems, you need an OEM/System Builder license.  Refurbished Licenses.

The Windows Anytime Upgrade option which may have applied in prior years...no longer exists.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:59 PM

If your budget does not allow for the purchase of Windows 7 you could put a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu on the computer. If the computer runs Windows 7 fine you should have no problem with Ubuntu or Mint. Depending on what your daughter uses the computer for, linux is a viable option. There are linux equivalent programs for most Windows programs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#4 Godlover

Godlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

If your budget does not allow for the purchase of Windows 7 you could put a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu on the computer. If the computer runs Windows 7 fine you should have no problem with Ubuntu or Mint. Depending on what your daughter uses the computer for, linux is a viable option. There are linux equivalent programs for most Windows programs.

My daughter uses Canvas and other Instructional Design software that use Word, Excel and Power point, so I do not think that linux would be an option.

#5 Godlover

Godlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Purchase a legal copy of Win 7 from a retailer is the only route available, IMO.

Example .

Do NOT be fooled by any license claiming to be applicable ONLY to refurbished systems, you need an OEM/System Builder license.  Refurbished Licenses.

The Windows Anytime Upgrade option which may have applied in prior years...no longer exists.

Louis

Should the downloaded installation that she did be good with the license that we purchase or would it be necesary to do a full wipe and install?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

I believe you would be purchasing a new disk with key. I would do a clean install as technically there are no more legitimate places to download Windows 7 other than Microsoft. You need a legal retail key to download an iso from Microsoft.

If your daughter is a student at a university she should be able to get a significant discount from the school but it would be for Windows 8 or 10. 7 may no longer be offered.

#7 Godlover

Godlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

I believe you would be purchasing a new disk with key. I would do a clean install as technically there are no more legitimate places to download Windows 7 other than Microsoft. You need a legal retail key to download an iso from Microsoft.

If your daughter is a student at a university she should be able to get a significant discount from the school but it would be for Windows 8 or 10. 7 may no longer be offered.

What are your thoughts on Windows 10?  I am a little skeptical of all the hype of free downloads, etc (for my Win 7).  What do they have uup their sleeve?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

You would still need to purchase Windows 10 for the XP computer. It is only free if you already have a legal install of Windows 7 or later. I would wait on Windows 10 because there are still some bugs to work out. Windows 10 is a service and your computer is given a Advertising Hardware ID. Microsoft checks your browsing habits to push ads depending on your browsing habits. Updates are now required. You cannot opt out.  

You can visit the other threads on the Board before you make a decision on using Windows 10. You can look at the privacy statement here. Click on Learn More for more details under each section.

You cannot run the upgrade advisor to see if your computer is Windows 10 capable because it requires Windows 7 and later. You can run the Windows 8 upgrade assistant. If that passes then you should not have a problem running Windows 10 but no guarantees on that. 

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

"What are your thoughts on Windows 10?" Personally I like it but you will find various opinions on Windows 10.

--- However since your Windows 7 isn't legally licensed you won't be able to upgrade to Windows 10 even if the computer would otherwise qualify

--- I just saw JohnC_21 post while typing this and agree with all that he mentions

"I am a little skeptical of all the hype of free downloads, etc (for my Win 7).  What do they have uup their sleeve?"

--- Generally downloads that are free eventually become enticements to purchase the product

--- In the case of an OS, it becomes necessary to purchase the license key as mentioned

#10 Godlover

Godlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

What do you say about the offers on Ebay of decomissioned computer OS?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

If you do it make sure the seller has a near 100% rating and Ebay has a money back guarantee on the purchase. 

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5081918

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users