Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo W520 laptop freezing problem

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Hey guys, strange problem, unit started freezing before it could go the desktop so I did a system restore and now can easily get to the desktop but first issue is that the owner always had to enter his password to enter windows, now that doesn''t happen, when booted the system will go straight to windows. Also rightlicking on the main folders such as My Pictures My Documents e.t.c doesn't work so I am guessing it's a permissions issue. I looked at the Folder Options but not seeing anything there regarding permissions, I want to advise the owner to backup all files first before I should proceed to do anything but since I can't copy and paste that won't work, any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

I would run a hard drive diagnostic...to deal with any questions I might have regarding the fundamental capability of the hard drive before assuming it's an O/S or other problem.  Chkdsk /r is NOT a hard drive diagnostic, it's a file system tool.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

See this for enabling password on logon. You can use Windows All on one repair to reset permissions. Have you tried using Ctrl + C for copy and Ctrl + V for Paste?

When you say right clicking on My Pictures does not work, do you mean you cannot open the folder and gives an access denied?

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

Have you tried using Ctrl + C for copy and Ctrl + V for Paste?

When you say right clicking on My Pictures does not work, do you mean you cannot open the folder and gives an access denied?

First option guys is for me to back up the user's files., yes John I had tried that. No I can open the folders and the files.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

Use Hirens or a Puppy linux disk to pull the files. Linux will overide any permissions.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

ok, the windows all in one utility requires rebooting into safe mode, would I be able to copy from safe mode?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

Copying is safe mode is worth a try otherwise you will need to copy the files outside of Windows. It would be a good idea to run a disk diagnostic as hamluis posted before doing a reinstall.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

ok, got to run now, will get back to you guys in a while

rightclick doesn't work in safe mode either, should I attempt the windows all in one repair back up file from linux first since it's around 150gb of files which needs to be backed up?

oh, wait a minute, it looks like it's the right click tab below the trackpad which was working as with the tabs above the trackpad is allowing the rightclick options

I copied the 148gb files over to my external so going to run a HDD diagnostics

To update both HDD and RAM tests passed but this machine has a lot of viruses so I am trying to clean it out since the owner wants a recovery only as last option.

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

Ok, all viruses should be cleaned by now, no more freezing so far and internet runs smooth and fast but having problem with the wireless net connection. Alright so system should be clean of virus, 2 issues I have to sort out, one since only the one right mouse button under the trackpad stopped working a while back according to the owner, I have to assume this is not software related? If yes then the other issues is when the wonder brought the laptop here, I noticed that the wireless net connection wasn't working and still isn't, I installed this driver

ntel WiMAX 6250 AGN for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP - ThinkPad

from the driver page: http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-w520

while installing it did show "no adapter installed" and asked if I wanted to complete the setup which I did so does this mean the wireless module is shot?

Edited by mystic12, 01 September 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

This is what I am seeing in the DM

Attached Files

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:15 PM

Since the topic in the title is resolved...I suggest that you start a new topic in the Internal Hardware forum...for any suspected hardware issues (including drivers).

Louis

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

It's ok, I got the wireless working, there was a wireless switch on the side, all should be fine now, appreciate the help!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

Happy computing :).

Louis

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

After one day the freezing started again so I am going to do the windows recovery as I had suggested to the owner in the first place, after wiping the drive and reinstalling windows if he should still have freezing problems, since both HDD and RAM tests passed, would it be safe to recommend mobo repair?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

I think it would depend on how old the computer is. When you ran the RAM test how long did it run. Overnight is a good test. Because it is a Thinkpad see if Lenovo's Diagnostic Boot CD will find anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users