Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, Is there a-way to stop or suspend Windows updates?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hello,

I have been reading online that there is a-way to download a tool from MS about stopping unwanted Windows updates in Windows 10,

But I can’t find the tool;

Where do I download it and is it even available anymore?

Thanks for any help anybody has

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

The way to control which updates you get and don't get is to stay with an earlier version of windows. I do not know if a tool exists to give users control of updates in windows 10, and if one did then I couldn't be sure: whether it was actually effective(as in whether it would actually give users control or whether it would merely appear to), whether it was safe (as in not some sort of virus ir PUP in disguise) or whether it wouldn't lead to other problems (it is certainly conceivable that preventing updates could lead to problems on windows 10, because it expects all of them to be installed). If such a tool existed/exists then it certainly wouldn't be coming from MS, it would be a third party thing.

If you want to keep control of updates then I suggest:
..If you are thinking about "upgrade" I suggest you stay with your current earlier OS.
..If you have already "upgraded" then I advise that you look into options for going back to your previous OS.
..If you bought a computer with windows 10 preinstalled I suggest you contact the shop/manufacturer and ask about the possiblity of downgrade to windows 7/8/8.1, ask about whether your hardware would be linux capable or ask whether you can return the device get a refund and buy yourself something with windows 7/8/8.1 with the money you get back.

By using a previous OS then you can control which updates you do and do not get, if you want to avoid windows 10 make sure to set your updates to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" and do not ever install KB3035583 or KB3044374.

If you need any more information or advice (advice on what to do or advice on how to do it) the people on this forum are very happy to help you.

Edited by rp88, 31 August 2015 - 10:50 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hello,

Thank You

I already upgraded and cant go back becuase when i try to it says the files were removed :thumbdown: 

I should have asked here before I upgraded opps I had no idea win10 updates was this much of a problem

I think I made a mistake by upgrading.

and I don't want to factory reset because my PC is super slow :( .

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

Here is the tool but it is not a permanent fix. It is for disabling driver updates.  Windows 10 will force you to take updates eventually. Even with the Pro version of Windows 10, which allows disabling of updates, you have to eventually enable updates after a period of time or you will no longer get security updates. What is the make and model of the computer and did you update to 10 because it was slow and it is still slow under Windows 10?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

#5 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hello,

Thanks the tool looks ok but like you said it probaly wont work:(

my PC specs

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
  • Antivirus Software
    Norton Security With Back-Up 22.5
  • Firewall
    Norton Security With Back-Up 22.5
  • Computer
    HP ENVY 17-j000 Notebook PC C8U19AV
  • CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz
  • Motherboard
    1966 KBC Version 93.52
  • Ram
    8GB
  • Storage
    Intel 240GB SSD Sata 6.0/Gbits
  • Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M DDR3 2GB
  • Soundcard
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
it is very fast but sometimes it crashes and runs slow and I don't know why

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Question for you: did the computer sometimes crash and run slow BEFORE you upgraded to Windows 10?

Another question: when did you upgrade to Windows 10? It does have a mechanism for reverting back to your previous OS within 30 days after the 10 install. If it has been more than 30 days, that could be why the files are removed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 August 2015 - 11:31 AM.

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

You can set your connection as metered if you want. Then you can choose when to install those updates. You can also use

Here is the tool but it is not a permanent fix. It is for disabling driver updates.  Windows 10 will force you to take updates eventually. Even with the Pro version of Windows 10, which allows disabling of updates, you have to eventually enable updates after a period of time or you will no longer get security updates. What is the make and model of the computer and did you update to 10 because it was slow and it is still slow under Windows 10?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

this link to stop those updates until a newer update replaces it, then you can hide it again.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#8 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

Question for you: did the computer sometimes crash and run slow BEFORE you upgraded to Windows 10?

Another question: when did you upgrade to Windows 10? It does have a mechanism for reverting back to your previous OS within 30 days after the 10 install. If it has been more than 30 days, that could be why the files are removed.

It did but it really started after 10 mostly when I am online using MS Edge and IE 11 it runs fast but when I am watching videos like YouTube it tends to jam up and crash.

Oh no I upgraded on the 29th of July well that explains that; is there maybe another way to go back to my 8.1 with out factory resetting it?

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 31 August 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

If you do not have the Windows.old folder on the root of C: then you are pretty much out of luck reverting back to 8.1 without doing a clean install. You may want to start a thread in the Crash Forum after reading the Pinned topics.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

You can go back to your original version of Windows whenever you want; just load the ISO or system image of your original OS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

Thanks guys if Windows Updates becomes more of a problem then i will most likely factory reset my PC back to 8.1 :thumbup2:

I have already had problems with some updates (KB3081436) and (KB3081424) so if more and more start corrupting my PC I will go back to 8.1 with my recovery discs.

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 31 August 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#12 Randem

Randem

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:26 AM

You cannot stop updates, you can only defer them if you are running Pro or Enterprise versions. Your computer will become a P2P server for updates so even though you are not downloading updates you can be uploading them to some other Windows 10 user on the internet. The home version users are basically the beta testers for the business versions. that is why they have the ability to defer the updates till after the home users test them and get the bugs out.

People who don't know what they are talking about will provide arguments instead of any valid proof to their claims...

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

Post #11:
if you go back to windows 8.1 make sure that when you do so the first thing you do, before even connecting the thing to the internet, is make yourself some system images.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual on windows 8.1 the image making option is located on the left hand side of the screen that comes up when you click on "file history" in control panel. If you keep offline installers for programs you like then you can install them before making the image, if you would have to go online to install programs then wait until after making this image to do it and make a second image once it's done.

And then after you've done that put the update setting onto "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", also untick the "give me recommended updates in the same way I get important ones" box, then every week go to "windows update" under control panel on tuesday evening/ wednesday morning and check to see what update are on offer, install all the ones called "Security Update for...", for the rest (the non-security ones)look at their descriptions using the "more information" link and see whether you think the update in question is worth havng or not. This way you can ensure that you won't be hassled by gwx (avoid KB3044374 and KB3035583 if you want to keep it away)and you won't have extra telemetry "features" (or other unwelcome "features") added to windows 8.1. Also by doing this you won't get buggy updates very often, so far I've never seen a security one be buggy but many of the non-security updates have been, this method of doing your updates will minimize the times you get a buggy update causing you problems.

Edited by rp88, 03 October 2015 - 02:48 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,633 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

Your computer will become a P2P server for updates so even though you are not downloading updates you can be uploading them to some other Windows 10 user on the internet.

You can disable the P2P functionnality of Windows Update in Windows 10, you do not have to use it.

qlUpfa8.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#15 Randem

Randem

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

Your computer will become a P2P server for updates so even though you are not downloading updates you can be uploading them to some other Windows 10 user on the internet.

You can disable the P2P functionnality of Windows Update in Windows 10, you do not have to use it.

qlUpfa8.png

If you are going to take information from my posted documentation and quote me you should at least give credit to the author...

People who don't know what they are talking about will provide arguments instead of any valid proof to their claims...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users