Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update "installing updates" for 11 hours

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

So I did a fresh install of Windows 7 (again), and I shut it down last night and it started installing some updates. 211? I thought it wouldn't take too long. Usually when I have installed all the updates for a fresh install it took no more than 3 hours. But 11??? This is pretty insane. Since I woke up which is about 1 hour ago, it has been stuck on update 177 of 211. I suspect this update has been causing the system to be updating all night because when I last checked before going to sleep last night at 10:30, it was at update 118 or so. My question is why is it taking so long and when will it be finished? Also, is there a way to interrupt this without corrupting the hard drive?

The specs of the machine are as follows:

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz

8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury RAM (DDR3-1600)

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC

1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda

EDIT: I shouldn't say Windows Update, it is supposed to be updating then shutting down.

Edited by gigawert, 31 August 2015 - 09:37 AM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

Never mind, it was over with when I got home, 7 hours later.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

And now it says it failed to configure updates and it is reverting. I tried resetting the PC but it does the same thing. :smash:

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

Turn off automatic updates, then do them in smaller batches.  You have all the normal ones plus the "10" JUNK, you will be able to screen out the stuff for 10.  I think when there are so maany updates at once windows has a hard time digesting them.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 31 August 2015 - 06:13 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

But the problem here is that even when booting into safe mode it says that it is reverting changes. I really don't have time for my computer to do this right now.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

I did an edit!

#7 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

I guess you're right. Right now I tried a system restore to the last point before I installed updates. Hopefully it won't bring up an error as it does 95% of the time.

#8 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Good news! The system restore actually worked this time! :)

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

Get you AV on it then do the batches.

Phil

#10 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

So you're saying that I should do a full scan of the PC then install updates from the Windows Update thing in Control Panel?

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

You will not need a scan right off, but you should always have your protection in place.

Edited by OldPhil, 31 August 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#12 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

Yes, I still have the avast! antivirus with the live protection running all the time.

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

And that could be why the updates bork or take so long.  Generally Windows update and a running anti-virus don't go well together.  Frankly, just turn the updates OFF, now that you've restored.  Then, when you're busy watching TV or waiting for dinner, run Windows Update and SELECT the ones you know you need in little batches.  See if you can keep your anti-virus running during them (usually you cannot).

Windows 10 aims to replace your prior anti-virus with only Defender.  It says so in the Settings, that whatever other malware you have, it won't run.  So count on a similar problem happening with Windows 7.  I've noticed that the updates are designed to span multi-OSes, and since they aren't compatible with each other, the programmer aims at the highest one, which ends up causing the lower OS some problems when it's boilerplated-installed.

Yell at me if I make no sense.  Point is, turn the Win7 updates OFF and only run them in small batches manually, to see if your anti-virus is interfering.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#14 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. :)

#15 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:13 AM

If you have them (and you probably do), uninstall these Win 10 related updates.  The are putting them on all other versions of window too.  I had to do it for Win 7 Pro.

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

- R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users