Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Approximately daily laptop crash, no pattern?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 dezzanator

dezzanator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

I have an Acer 5749 laptop, running Windows 10. Every 1-2 days, the PC will completely crash - it's impossible to move the cursor, press Ctrl+Alt+Del etc, and it does not recover until it is turned off manually.

I cannot find any pattern for this, and the Event Viewer doesn't seem to identify the cause - apart from the fact the computer was turned off unexpectedly.

The computer is mainly used for internet browsing, with Chrome and Firefox - the crashes are not unique to one or the other. Virus and spyware checks are carried out regularly. No missing drivers in Device Manager.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I've attached the requested files to this post. In regard to the errors in the Event Viewer, none of the date/time of these seem to correlate with the freezes, apart from the unexpected power off entries.

OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? 10
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
· What was original installed OS on system? Win 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Retail
· Age of system (hardware) 4 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Windows 10 installed around a month ago

· CPU - i3 2330M
· Video Card - Intel HD 3000
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· System Manufacturer - Acer
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) - 5749

· Laptop or Desktop? Laptop

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

How did you install W10?  Did you take any steps to update any older software on the system?

Your UEFI/BIOS (version V1.08) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

There's at least one AppHelpHardBlock error in the WER section of MSINFO32.  This implies that there's at least one incompatible program on your system.  Please update ALL programs that you have installed on the system.

I'm uncertain of the effect of Classic Start Menu in W10 - and have to wonder how a program that takes control of explorer.exe will work in a new version.
I suggest uninstalling it while we're testing.

I'd suggest:

- updating all drivers and software to the latest, W10 compatible version.

- reregister your Windows Store apps:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for replying.

Windows 10 was installed using the Get 10 App, I did update all programs except Comodo firewall, which was uninstalled as it failed to load under W10. I'll go through every program and update as necessary now, although when installing W10 no incompatible programs were highlighted.

Looking on Acer's site BIOS version 1.08 is the latest version - it was updated to this version about a year ago or so.

I'll uninstall Classic Start Menu and see if that makes a difference. That may well be a good point though - the system was updated from Win 7 - 8 - 10. The crashes never happened in 7, a lot in 8 and occasionally in 10, and I've had Classic Shell installed shortly after installing 8.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:59 AM

Don't forget to re-register the Windows Store apps (W10 comes pre-populated with some).
If uncertain about a program - uninstall it.  You can always reinstall it after we're done troubleshooting.

#7 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

I've done the re-registration and made sure all programs are up to date.

Also uninstalled a few old programs including those software suites of phones I no longer have.

Perhaps it's a long shot but around 3/4 of the crashes seem to occur when Youtube is left on pause for a while on an inactive tab on Chrome or Firefox. It doesn't happen every time but it might be related to the cause.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

In the old days we'd just update the video drivers.

Now it's much more complicated - and with the absence of new drivers for W10, it's much more difficult.

Ensure that you keep Windows updated.  I find that some installations won't install until a day or two later - so I always check for updates.

Next, be sure to update ALL drivers.  If you don't have W10 drivers, then next best thing is W8.1 drivers (install in compatibility mode if they give you trouble).

Don't ignore the off-the-wall things like the Intel Management Engine, RST, DPTF, SmartConnect, Turbo thing, etc - update everything!!!

Make sure that any 3rd party programs that you have installed are also W10 compatible.

Another adverse impact on OS installations is the age of the OS on the system.  In most cases a fresh install of Windows will upgrade more easily than one that's been used for many years.  The point here is that I suspect that the amount of "stuff" accumulated throughout the OS over the years makes it more difficult for the installer to deal with the upgrade smoothly.

As for the video, obviously update the video drivers - but be careful.

Some manufacturer's use special video drivers so that they can switch between graphics cards (and other functions).  As such, you must use their drivers. (I had this problem with my Samsung laptop and still can't fix it :(  )

Then, the other things involved would include the storage drivers and the chipset drivers (at a minimum) - along with the rest of the supporting drivers (Intel/AMD/nVidia stuff that's related to the chipset but isn't included in the chipset drivers).  Finally, all of the other (network, USB, etc) can also impact things by acting on things like hibernate/sleep functions - as they have to remain in memory and act on those drivers in some way.

In short:

- update all drivers from the manufacturer's website and all add-on device drivers.

- update all software to the latest, W10 compatible version.  If not compatible, uninstall it

- get all Windows Updates.  Check again!

- re-register Windows Store apps (even if you don't use them):  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps

- run DISM and SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

If that doesn't fix it, attempt to revert to the original OS (backup your data first).

- if it works fine there, then do the stuff listed above in the original OS - making sure to remove the W10 incompatible stuff

- if it doesn't work fine, then consider a backup, wipe and reinstall of the OS (with updating to W10 immediately after the reinstall)

- If the revert doesn't work, then you're going to need to wipe and reinstall the OS anyway

#9 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

Thanks again for replying, it's a great help.

Just working my way through the suggestions. Seems that a whole series of drivers have updates (Intel C200 chipset), so that's five in total updated. All other programs are either W10 compatible or running in 8.1 compatibility mode. Avast antivirus also has updated to a new version.

There's many video drivers available, but these are the correct ones. Although the original ones installed seemed to function fine, I downloaded the ones from Acer.

Windows Update is clear, checked and no updates to install.

Windows Store apps have been re-registered.

Just about to run DISM and SCANNOW - the latter was run a few days ago but will give it another run.

So far I've been crash free since Monday - which is an improvement so far, fingers crossed.

Have now run the two commands - DISM didn't bring up anything but SCANNOW did indicate an issue. Rebooted and ran it again afterwards with nothing detected the second time.

Edited by dezzanator, 02 September 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

Sometimes SFCFix will help these issues

It's closely tied to Windows Update - so try this:

There's not many experts at fixing Windows Updates.
I am not one of them.
But the few experts that there are a sorely overworked - so getting a reply will be difficult.
I'll continue to attempt to help here, but please bear with me.

First, please try the Windows Update troubleshooter/fixes listed here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
Windows Update Troubleshooter KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434
Reset Windows Update Components KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Then, if that doesn't fix the Windows Update problem, please do the following 2 things. (copied from here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html ):

Run SFCFix

This free tool of neimiro's creation (see above link) is a very good starting point for the diagnosis and repair of all Windows Update and System File Checker corruptions. We therefore need you to run this tool prior to collecting logfiles.

-  First download and run a copy of the tool from http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe.
        -  Work through any on-screen prompts and then await completion (runtime is approximately 15 minutes).
        -  Once it has finished, if there are any unrepaired corruptions (the tool will notify you if it has succeeded in repairing all corruptions if they're simple in which case we're no longer needed) or unresolved problems with your computer, you need to post us the complete logfile which opens on exit. Simply copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the entire logfile into your new thread (also know as a 'topic'). How to create a new thread is shown later on in this post.

Export CBS folder
NOTE:  This is not for me (I can't read them).  This is in case you decide to post in the OS forums asking for help from the experts. 

-  On Windows 8/10, press the Windows key, type This PC, and press Enter.
        -  On Windows Vista/7, click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
        -  Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
        -  Find and double click on the Logs folder.
        -  Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
        -  Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
        -  Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
        -  A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

As for the first item (SFCFix), just copy and paste into your post as indicated.
For the second item (CBS log), if you'd like it analyzed, start a post in the OS forums, then zip it up and upload it with your next post there (it's not needed in this topic as I can't read it).
If it's too big to upload (or you get an error), just upload it to a free file hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Ensure that it's shared and then post a link to it here.

#11 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

Thanks, I've run the program with nothing found in the scan.

Had a freeze today whilst using a Live Chat on Firefox - does make me think of a common link between that and idle Youtube videos. Is there a common plugin/extension they use?

Also had something I've never had before - Microsoft Edge crashed and the Start Menu couldn't be opened. It's happened twice today.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:19 PM

Let's have a look at a fresh copy of this report (especially if you can catch it right after a freeze):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

#13 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Thanks.

I'll post the event viewer log as soon as a crash next occurs. Haven't had one today so far.

#14 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

Had a lock up around 10 minutes ago now, event viewer log posted.

Attached Files

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

Nothing real specific in the logfile, but here's a couple of things to fix that were mentioned in the log:

- Uninstall your Epson printer.  Once the system has been stabilized, feel free to install a freshly downloaded copy of the latest Epson drivers for your printer.

- Download fresh copies of your networking drivers (both wired and wireless if so equipped).  Then uninstall the current drivers and install the freshly downloaded drivers.

- Comodo Internet Security may have some problems.  Uninstall it.  Ensure that you enable Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall while we're testing.

Once the system has been stabilized feel free to install a freshly downloaded copy AFTER the problem has been fixed.

Of these events, I suspect the Comodo first, the network second, and the printer third.

Lets' see what happens.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users