Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

I have an old Dell Inspiron 530S  Vista Home Premium - 2.00 GB of RAM - 32-bit operating system with the following specs:

PROCESSOR, E6550, 2.33, 4MB, CORE DUO-CONROE

Hard Drive, 320G, S2, 7.2K, 16M Unleaded, Seagate-GL
Kit, Compact Diskette, Driver, OUGA5/OPGA5, 2
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 2400, PROFESSIONAL, LOOP, OUGA5 

I would like to get another couple of years use out of it and am looking for ways to upgrade it.  What should I buy/upgrade for the most "bang for the buck"?  I know the hard drive is pretty full, the start-up time is long, and navigating through webpages is slow.  Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:03 PM

I would like to get another couple of years use out of it and am looking for ways to upgrade it.

What should I buy/upgrade for the most "bang for the buck"?

Linux Mint or Ubuntu would run great on that PC and it wouldn't cost anything.

#3 Joeso

Joeso

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

Windows is resource demanding. With those specs, I'd recommend Arch Linux; it can take a while to grow into, but it is featureful.

If you really want Windows, and it must be 32 bit, get XP, or 7 -- Vista is a memory hog, and 2GBs will go fast.

#4 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:53 AM

Thanks!  How much different is Arch Linux (I've only used Windows in the past).  How difficult and expensive is it to upgrade to Windows XP or 7?  Is it possible to upgrade to 64 bit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users