Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

When I first boot up my computer and go on line , Zone alarms always show's this ....

Generic Host process for Win32 services
is Trying to Access The internet

Allow it .....

Denie it .....

Can any froum member just outline what this means..? should I allow it ...?
or Denie it ....?

...........Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:59 AM

I've denied it everytime since I got ZoneAlarm a few days ago, and there has been no problem. I figure that unless it HAS to connect to the internet, don't let it.

That said, just what is Generic Host Process? What does it do?

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 sAmEh

sAmEh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

block it...i used to have it and it used to restart my computer when it connect to the internet.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:47 AM

In ZoneAlarm it has to have 3 green checkmarks. You have to allow it to act as a server, BUT ONLY IN THE TRUSTED ZONE, never ever in the internet zone.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

That is how mine is set. Mypenry, to see if yours is set this way, go to the program control tab on the vertical list on the left side, then click on Programs tab at the top on the right. Scroll down through the list to "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services". You will notice column titles at the top. For Generic Host Process, Send e-mail should have a red x, server internet should have a red x, and the other three should have green checks. If this is not the case, left click on the program name, then right click on the program name and then left click on Remove on the menu that appears. The system will automatically set it to the correct settings the next time Generic Host Process does something.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

Thanks ...Orange Blossom,

my Zone Alarm only shows Two columns on the Programs tabs... the first column at the top say's

ACCESS and its split into Two row;s one say's .... (Trusted ) and the other say's ( Internet )

The Second Column say's at the top SERVER and is again split into Two row's one say's ( Trusted ) and the other say's ( internet )

so ive for now removed the Generic Host Process for Win32 Services and as you say let Zone Alarm re set things .

So Thanks for your advice and comments ... Mypenry

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

Mypenry

I'm glad I could be of help.

"my Zone Alarm only shows Two columns on the Programs tabs ... The Second Column say's at the top SERVER and is again split into Two row's one say's ( Trusted ) and the other say's ( internet )"

Actually you do have at least 4 columns. The two columns you mention are each split into two more columns labeled as you say. Columns are vertical meaning they go up and down, and rows are horizontal meaning they go across from left to right.

So what I meant was: the Internet column under the Server column should have a red X. the Trusted column under the server column should have a green check. Both Access columns should have green checks.

I'm surprised that you don't have the send e-mail column. On mine it appears to the right of the server column. Maybe this column doesn't show if you don't have the e-mail scanning up. Does anyone else know?

Orange Blossom - an English as a Second Language tutor :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users