Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto Air Purifiers/ionizers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

My husband is thinking about buying one of those air purifiers/ionizers you plug into the cigarette lighter socket in your car. He occasionally smokes cigars in the car (when I'm not with him) and the smell lingers on the upholstery/carpet for days and days. Anyone ever use one? Are they effective? Any brand recommendations?
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

If you are talking about something like what is advertised on TV like Ionic Breeze--You are wasting your money! The only thing those things are good at cleaning is your wallet. With cigars, you can roll down all the windows and drive 70 mph and still have the lingering odor for weeks.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

Not smoking in the car would solve the problem lol.
Before you buy stuff try reading reviews. This site is what I use.
http://www.epinions.com

And using google for reviews will help too.
Hope this helps!

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

I smoke :thumbsup: and I use febreeze. They also have febreeze auto, wich I haven't used, but they say it works well. The scent of smoke also gets in your dash and what not. Armor all is a good way to get that out.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:53 AM

If you want an unbiased, well researched opinion, the best place to look is Consumer's Reports/Consumer's Union. A lot of their info is free on the web and if not, most libraries carry their magazines. They accept no ads like so many others.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the link, CowsGoneMad. Will come in handy for other purchases as well. Was not aware of that site. Will also try the Febreeze. Cigarette smoke doesn't linger like the cigar smoke. Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

Actually what you want is an OZONE generating fan,definately not the Ionizer. Put it in the car for a

day, But not while you are in it. Too much Ozone not good either. The Ionizer will only charge the dust

particles in the air and make them fall or cling to surfaces. They partially clean,not purify the air. Ozone

or O3,is an unstable gas and the it's third atom needs to break away. It does and clings to an odor particle

and destroys it. Then your O3 becomes O2 (oxygen.. pure). They vary in price with size,from about

$200,for a room size. But you can use it in your house too.They also kill mold. I know because I have the

800 model. Use it in the pool area and entertainment room. These work. It will smell clean. You can L@@K at them .

Edited by boopme, 16 July 2006 - 06:27 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info. Never heard of them. Will check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users