Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Windows detected a hard drive failure and now it's failed, I think!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jono'sbook

jono'sbook

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hi BC,
I had been getting a pop-up window stating that Windows detected a hard drive problem. Couldn't find any issues though the pop-ups continued and now I can't run Windows (?) so the computer is not usable and it's can restore disk to an earlier version and can't repair it. I saved what I could. A little background: Computer was working fine, I think, until I upgraded from Win 7 to 10. Decided I'd rather use Win 7 and deleted Win 10. Talked with Lenovo and one person there said it needed a restore disk for 69.00 (I don't have) because it was a software problem (Windows 10 was not right for my computer or something) and another person on a different call said I needed a hard drive and I needed to send it to them for a diagnostic evaluation for 99.00 and then they would tell me what is wrong and I'd pay more for the repair. Bleeping Computer has helped me with infections before and have been awesome and saved me! This time it's something different. Please help! I don't know what to do! Thanks for any assistance you can provide, I'd be very grateful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UPI

UPI

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:32 AM

Check the hard disk with a SMART utility. Windows checks the hard disk health using SMART. Reading what SMART has to say about the disk may either point towards a failing hard disk (Windows is right > replace hard disk), or the disk is okay and Windows is wrong.

- Joep

#3 jono'sbook

jono'sbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:50 AM

Will do. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users