Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

floppy disk unformatting?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

not sure if this is the proper place to ask this but, is there a way to completely unformat a floppy disk? im trying to put in an iso on one but it keeps saying not enough memory when clearly there should be enough. the disk has fat32 file system, which i suspect is the reason my 1.4mb floppy only has 1.38mb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

If I remember correctly on a 1.4 MB floppy the maximum data capacity was 1.38 MB. It is a situation analagous to memory sticks - 8 GB capacity, maximum data storage about 7.7 GB.

How much data are you trying to cram onto this floppy ?  And is there some reason you cannot use a higher capacity medium - CD or USB stick ?

I don't know of any way to 'unformat' a drive except through a fault condition. And if you succeeded, when you tried to write to it either the system wouldn't recognise it as a drive or you would get an error message saying the drive needs to be formatted before you can use it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

If I remember correctly on a 1.4 MB floppy the maximum data capacity was 1.38 MB. It is a situation analagous to memory sticks - 8 GB capacity, maximum data storage about 7.7 GB.

How much data are you trying to cram onto this floppy ?  And is there some reason you cannot use a higher capacity medium - CD or USB stick ?

I don't know of any way to 'unformat' a drive except through a fault condition. And if you succeeded, when you tried to write to it either the system wouldn't recognise it as a drive or you would get an error message saying the drive needs to be formatted before you can use it.

Chris Cosgrove

im trying to get an iso thats ~1.4mb onto a floppy so that i can make one of my older computers useable in the 21st century. it does have usb ports, but for some reason they weren't properly installed, and i have no cds that can be used. hindsight-wise, i should have written "how do i completely erase all data on floppy drive, including formatting."

edit: im trying to install a kolibri iso onto the floppy disk, which is supposed to work...

Edited by Mr. Engino, 30 August 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

make one of my older computers useable in the 21st century

A worthy ambition indeed !  But to the best of my knowledge and belief you cannot get more than 1.38 MB onto a flopppy drive

But I have just realised that you are trying to load an ISO file onto this floppy. Even if you can, can the computer do anything with an ISO file ?  Can I suggest that you unpack this ISO file into its component files and then try them ?  It is possible the unpacked files may fit, or it may be possible to spread them across two floppies. There are several ways to unpack an ISO, the one I use is ImageBurn. While I normally use it for writing ISOs to CD/DVDs I believe you can  write the unpacked files to a folder.

If it doesn't work can you post back with the details of this computer particularly including the OS.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

If this is the OS you are trying to install, the size is over 18MB for the iso file. Do you have a link for the iso file you downloaded?

http://kolibrios.org/en/download

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

I've never known floppy disc images to be distributed as .iso files.  These are always (in my experience) optical disk images.  I've used floppy disk images in the .img and .ima formats with things like virtual machines and DOSBox.

If you do have floppy disc images you do not copy them to the disk.  You need to use a special program to write the raw data to disk.  Something like this should work - http://freeextractor.sourceforge.net/diskwrite/

Edited by jonuk76, 30 August 2015 - 06:24 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

A worthy ambition indeed !  But to the best of my knowledge and belief you cannot get more than 1.38 MB onto a flopppy drive

But I have just realised that you are trying to load an ISO file onto this floppy. Even if you can, can the computer do anything with an ISO file ?  Can I suggest that you unpack this ISO file into its component files and then try them ?  It is possible the unpacked files may fit, or it may be possible to spread them across two floppies. There are several ways to unpack an ISO, the one I use is ImageBurn. While I normally use it for writing ISOs to CD/DVDs I believe you can  write the unpacked files to a folder.

If it doesn't work can you post back with the details of this computer particularly including the OS.

Chris Cosgrove

I've never known floppy disc images to be distributed as .iso files.  These are always (in my experience) optical disk images.  I've used floppy disk images in the .img and .ima formats with things like virtual machines and DOSBox.

If you do have floppy disc images you do not copy them to the disk.  You need to use a special program to write the raw data to disk.  Something like this should work - http://freeextractor.sourceforge.net/diskwrite/

yeah, it was an img file, not iso (guess im not the geek i thought i was...)

If this is the OS you are trying to install, the size is over 18MB for the iso file. Do you have a link for the iso file you downloaded?

http://kolibrios.org/en/download

thats not the one i was trying to download; thats the nightly builds! i was downloading the 0.7.7.0 one located in the previous releases.

#8 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

FORGET EVERYTHING I SAID. diskwrite helped me with what i was trying to accomplish. turns out, i was able to fit in the img file with about 69kb to spare.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:14 AM

Glad it worked for you.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

I too am pleased you have solved your problem - it's been a long time since I last actually used a floppy disc as opposed to looking at the two boxes of them I have sitting in my desk drawer. Now, for the next part of this thread - why do I still have these floppies sitting here ?  Answers on a postcard please !

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

Im surprised anyone would still be using a floppy disk at this point. :hysterical:

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users