Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Tansfer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 water101

water101

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

I have a laptop with a broken screen but a good hdd, another laptop that has a broken hdd. One is an acer and the other is a asus, can I put the good drive in the laptop that had the bad drve. They were both Windows 8 laptops that were updated to updated to 8.1. I am hoping to make 1 good system from 2 bad systems, there we no issues with either system other then a broken screen on the one and the other one had a hdd crash.

Thanks
water

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

Putting the good drive in the computer with the bad drive may boot but you probably would be dealing with driver issues including chipset and other drivers.

Personally because you are dealing with two different computers, I would backup any personal data on the the good hard drive and then do a clean install of Windows 8.1.  You can download the Windows 8.1 media creator here. Because the key is embedded in firmware, the install will activate when you go online. Do you have Microsoft Office on the good drive and is it activated?

#3 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, not sure if the office on the good drive is activated but I will reinstall all software I need as I go forward. Will the media creator give me all the details I need to make it happen.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

The media creator will let you burn a DVD, create a bootable USB flash drive, or make an iso file that you can burn to DVD. You may need to download drivers if the Windows 8.1 iso does not have them for your computer. Most likely the Ethernet and Wireless drivers which you can download form the makers support site for your computer with the bad drive.

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:51 AM

If Windows came pre-installed on each system, you are running OEM version Windows, which cannot be transferred between systems.  An OEM version of Windows dies with the system. 

You can use system A's HDD in system B, but then you would need to reinstall Windows on system B using system B OEM Recovery Disc(s).

If you do swap HDDs, be sure to (low-level) format the HDD before installing Windows - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/449-format-hdd-low-level-format-killdisk.html

You are allowed to burn 1 set of recovery discs on each system - use DVD-R -- if you can create them on the system w/the bad HDD.  You can try running chkdsk /f /r

If you need recovery DVDs, you can order them from the OEM, usually at a reasonable cost (I paid $30 for an HP recovery disc) -

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/3716-oem-microsoft-windows-replacement-media-os-dvds.html

Good luck.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

@jcgriff2, because the key for Windows 8 is embedded in firmware you do not need the OEMs disk(s) but it is desirable as they have included drivers.

Microsoft allows you to download the 8.1 media tool, create the iso or bootable USB flash drive/DVD, install, and automatically activate the OS when it pulls the key from firmware once online. A person does not need to input the key during the install and if by chance it is required, the key can be pulled from the MSDM table using a live linux disk. This will work if only the hard drive is changed and comes in handy if the person loses their OEM media or has a drive failure without creating them.

I have done this a few times with posters already who lost the OS or hard drive and forgot to create rescue media. Here is a poster who was able to use this method to save the customer the cost of recovery media.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

If you have an external monitor and can use the laptop with it as your display.  If you can do this you can use a command to generalize the identifiers of the HDD/SSD.  By doing this you will not have the driver issues JohnC_21 was referring to.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

@jcgriff2, because the key for Windows 8 is embedded in firmware you do not need the OEMs disk(s) but it is desirable as they have included drivers.

Microsoft allows you to download the 8.1 media tool, create the iso or bootable USB flash drive/DVD, install, and automatically activate the OS when it pulls the key from firmware once online. A person does not need to input the key during the install and if by chance it is required, the key can be pulled from the MSDM table using a live linux disk. This will work if only the hard drive is changed and comes in handy if the person loses their OEM media or has a drive failure without creating them.

I have done this a few times with posters already who lost the OS or hard drive and forgot to create rescue media. Here is a poster who was able to use this method to save the customer the cost of recovery media.

Very true - apologies, I use full retail versions.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users