Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot and won't run installation disc

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 teammct

teammct

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

Hello,

I was trying to boot my custom built desktop Windows 7 computer in safe mode, not because of any virus or malware, but to start a trial version of Norton 360. I didn't have the option during boot up to enter safe mode or any other startup options, and hitting F8 never did anything, only F2 and F10 keys to load the BIOS screen and to choose a drive to boot from. I ended up changing the msconfig settings to reboot in safe mode, and then the computer just froze during startup after the BIOS options, showing a black screen with a "0_" in the lower right (see attached pics).

So now I'm still able to enter the BIOS settings, and I've tried resetting all to defaults, but it won't get me anywhere. It doesn't seem to be a BIOS issue, but rather a Windows and/or SSD issue since it all runs fine until it freezes just before I would usually see the Windows screen. 

I've tried booting from the installation disc, but anytime I choose any drive to boot from, it freezes on that screen. The only luck I've had was creating a bootable usb drive from the installation disc, and I got a windows logo to show up, but once the animation for the logo ends, the image freezes and won't do anything else.

I hadn't used the cd drive before since I hadn't had a reason, and although it seems to be recognized as a drive, I thought maybe it wasn't reading it correctly. I then tried an external cd drive to boot the installation disc from, but it still froze like any other drive.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro off a 64gb SSD with 2 additional 2TB HDs running in raid to act as a 4TB drive, with intel i7 quad core and AMD Radeon 7970 graphics card.

I also didn't build this pc, but bought it off someone who did. He didn't have any suggestions for this problem since he's more experienced with hardware than software problems. Please help, it's a new computer to me, and I'd love to be able to use it again!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2015 - 03:21 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

Two things. The first is since F10 takes you to the boot screen, once you have checked that this screen is pointing at the correct drive - use the up and down arrow keys if necessary - then try F8 or possibly F10 again. I would try F8 first as that is the most common key to get to the safe mode screen.

I've tried booting from the installation disc, but anytime I choose any drive to boot from, it freezes

I am not sure I understand you here. If you are using the Win 7 install disc to do a repair install the disc is a self booter, it doesn't need an OS to boot from. When doing a repair install once past the screen choosing language and keyboard you are asked if you want an install or a repair. Choosing repair then brings up a screen asking which OS you wish to repair, usually there is only one. Nowhere in this chain are you asked anything about drives or drive letters. And at this point you just select 'Repair'.

If, when trying to do a repair install, the install disc does not find an OS it may be necessary for you to do do a full install instead. In which case you will be asked for which drive or partition do you wish to make the install on.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 teammct

teammct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hi Chris,

I've made sure it's pointing at the correct drive. If I choose the drive it freezes, but I can also order the drives to boot from, and I've disconnected all other drives to make sure it won't try to boot from anywhere else. Even with that, it goes straight to the black screen where F8, F2, or F10 don't have any affect.

When I have the boot disc in, I'm not able to get the disc to bring anything up. I'm only choosing the boot menu from the original BIOS screen (F10 shown in the screenshot) to run the optical drive first instead of the SSD in order to run the disc. At no point do I get to the options to repair screen to choose the drive.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious but to use the installation disc you have to boot from it.

Power up the computer - it doesn't matter if it just goes to BIOS and stops - put the disk in the drive and re-boot. The computer should now boot from the installation disc since it is self-booting. The screen should display a long list of file names and then boot to a screen where you choose language and keyboard, from memory there is also one for date and time, and then you get the screen with a repair/install option. Choose REPAIR and continue.

Through the whole of this process there is no mention of drive identifiers, only which OS do you wish to repair and as I said above, normally there is only one OS. But you have to boot from the installation disc.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 teammct

teammct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

I've done that, but at no point any screen comes up from the installation disc, it always goes to the BIOS options and freezes. I'll let it try to boot up normally after putting in the disc, or I'll try to point the boot to the DVD drive, and it never gets anywhere. The furthest I've gotten was using a USB with an image of the installation disc, and I was able to get a windows splash screen animation before it freezes on that image with no options to do anything.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:39 PM

At the moment all I can think of - without getting drastic and wiping your SSD - is to go into your BIOS and make sure that your boot priority sequence is set as follows :-

1  CD/DVD drive

2  USB

3  HDD

Save changes and exit

Then try booting from the Win 7 disc again. It's my bedtime, if you are no further forward I will see if I can get a second opinion on this tomorrow.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 teammct

teammct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

I followed those directions exactly, but still nothing. I've been at this for a couple weeks now, and I think I may have exhausted every boot option.

Since safe mode was never an option during startup, and forcing it to boot in safe mode with the msconfig setting causes it to freeze during startup, I'm not sure what the root cause is for not having that option, or the ability to boot in safe mode, or any recovery mode, but I'm thinking it may be some communication between the hardware, or maybe the way the OS was set up initially (which I didn't do). Is there a way I can test just the SSD drive with another machine? I'd prefer to retain the information I have on there, but I'm prepared to wipe it clean if necessary if it means I'll be able to use it again.

Thanks for all the help today, I really appreciate it!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

Monday nights I play cards, so get home relatively late.

At this point I cannot think of anything other than getting 'drastic', so I have asked John_C21 to offer a second opinion.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hello, can you do the following. Download the Memtest+ iso file. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Make sure your flash drive is in the first dropdown box. Where is says FreeDos select iso image and click on the folder icon. Browse to the Memtest iso file and then click start. Backup any personal data on the USB flash drive as it will be formatted. 

Attach the USB flash drive and use the boot menu to select your Flash Drive. Run memtest for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. Does it give any errors?

See step 2 here.

Can you provide a MB make and model? You may need to take off the side panel to see the make and model label on the MB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#10 teammct

teammct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:53 PM

Memtest is running, I will update the status in the morning. Motherboard is an Intel DP67BG.

#11 teammct

teammct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Gone through 4 passes so far in just under 12 hours with no errors. Running through a few more now, but it will take a while longer.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

Well, it seems your RAM is okay. I find it odd that you could boot the Memtest USB but when you try booting a Windows 7 USB it freezes. In BIOS make sure FastBoot is not enabled after finishing the memtest. What did you use to create the Windows 7 install USB?

#13 teammct

teammct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

A couple more tests and no errors. All settings for fast boot are disabled.

I used magiciso to create the iso of the installation disc, and Rufus to create the Windows 7 usb.

I'm going to try another USB for another Win 7 bootable drive since I didn't use the same one for the memtest, so we'll see if that makes a difference and doesn't freeze.

#14 teammct

teammct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Same freeze on another USB. I even tried making another iso image, but same thing. Disc looks like it's in good shape, so I'm not sure what's happening. Any other ideas?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

I think the disk may be bad. Is this a retail Windows 7 disk with key, not OEM? If this is a retail disk then go here and get a fresh iso of Windows 7. Other than trying to boot Windows 7, the computer is running fine, correct?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users