Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drive won't take system image

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chessnut2

chessnut2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

I have a Gateway Laptop, model NV75520u

Window 7 Home Premium ver. 6.1, service pack 1

6 gigs Ram

500 GB hard drive

WD Element external drive 2.0 TB

I did a windows 7 system image on one computer onto this external drive. In order to be able to image another computer onto the same drive, I renamed the image file from the first computer by placing a word description in the filename.

When I tried to do a disc image of this laptop (see above), I got an error msg saying that there was not enough disc space for the volume shadow. But when I check the amount of free space on the external drive, it shows that i have 1.78 TB free. this laptop is only going to require about 142 GB of space. Any ideas about why Microsoft disc image is saying I don't have enough space? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

Sounds like the problem described by Raymon here try to follow his directions.

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 August 2015 - 02:56 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 chessnut2

chessnut2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

Hi,

Sounds like the problem described by Raymon here try to follow his directions.

Thanks. A lot to digest there, but I'll try it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,422 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

How much free space is on the 500GB drive you are trying to image? Are you using Windows own system image utility?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#5 chessnut2

chessnut2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hey John. I only have 142 GB to image. Yes, Windows7 disc image tool. Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,422 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

I am not sure why you are getting that error. You may want to check this article. You can check the Volume Copy Service by typing CMD in the search box and using the following commands

vssadmin list providers  -  You should see the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy listed.

vssadmin list writers    -    you should get the following output

• State: [1] Stable
  • No error

I suggest you avoid the Windows System Image utility and use Macrium Free. After you use if for awhile you will find it is far better than the one included in Windows. If VSS fails then Macrium uses it own driver but it results in a slower backup.

Be sure to create a bootable WinPE disk using Macrium. This will let you boot the computer to restore the image in case the drive was bad or the computer was not able to boot. You can also mount any image file you create to a virtual drive letter letting you explore it's contents and copy out any file in the image. Edit: Using the bootable disk or USB flash drive you would be able to do backups and restores offline outside of Windows.

Edit: If you do decide on Macrium then download it from here and not Cnet.

Another free imaging program that is also very good and does image backups is Aoemi Backupper Standard.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#7 chessnut2

chessnut2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:54 PM

I think that's good advice, John. I used Macrium years ago, and started to this time, but decided to try Microsoft's tool. I'll give Macrium a try. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users